Kittens and Collars

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I first brought my kittens home, a couple of my friends bought them collars as "kitten warming" gifts lol. They tried them on and they were MUCH too big lol, but they didn't seem to mind having them on. They wore them for about ten minutes under close supervision (they were 6 weeks old at this time).

Now they are 13 weeks, and I tried their collars on again out of curiosity, to see if they fit yet. They are still too big but not by much. BUT. I was going to take a photo to show my friends, and when I let the girls go to grab my phone, they panicked and went racing around the apartment flat out, low to the ground, TERRIFIED. Poor girls, I felt SO bad. Finally managed to catch them and get the collars off and get them settled down again (and then we played with the collars for a while so they wouldn't be scared of the sight of them). 

Now, my girls are indoor only cats, so there isn't much need in their lives for them to wear collars, but I would like to get them accustomed to wearing them because if (when) I move, especially if it is a long distance move (likely), I'd like them to have some ID on just in case the worst happens and I lose them. (I would obviously keep them in carriers for the trip, but you can't be too careful, right?)

Is there some way of getting them used to wearing collars without scaring the wits out of them, or do you think I shouldn't bother with collars in the eventuality that I move. (They will be adults before I move, I have this apartment until September 1 2014 and they were born September 13 2013)

cccdlx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Your approach to getting them accustomed to wearing a collar seems fine. Supervised and for short periods.  Making the collar a play toy is good.  But be super careful that the collar fits perfectly.  It's awful when a cat gets a paw caught in it trying to get it off, or gets it stuck in their mouth.

I would suggest putting them in a carrier to wear it.   One kitty at a time, for just a little while.  Maybe give them treats or food in the crate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chasetheblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! Maybe I'll wait a little longer then, they are still a little bit loose for them. The carrier is a good idea too, and they like their carrier because I frequently hide treats in it for them to find :)