Kitten Woes

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last week we rescued our kitten (13 weeks old) off the side of a busy highway. We immediately took her to the vet and she was given the following:

Revolution
Strongid
FVRCP & FeLV combo booster
Clavamox (for facial cuts and injury/road rash to her bottom) for 10 days

As she was rescued off the highway, she's a bony little thing so my immediate concern was getting her weight up. She's been eating fine up until the last couple of days. While she does eat throughout the day (FF kitten wet with kitten chow kibble as a snack) and drinks water, I noticed that she's no longer finishing her wet food at her meals.

She's still bony. She doesn't seem to weigh less, but 2.69lbs in a 13 week old kitten really doesn't seem like much. Her cuts and hiney are healed beautifully.

She is playful and active, but not bouncing off the walls kitten behavior that I've read about. She's very laid back.

This morning she puked. Still playful and active and inquisitive. Poops and pees (in her box) are normal.

I'm a new kitty mom, so of course I have scoured the site and the more I read, the more I freak out. My vet is closed until tomorrow, but they answered a million questions for me on Friday and encouraged me to keep her on her regimen of antibiotics since she's still eating. Now that she has puked though, I'm freaking out a bit. I'm heading to the store to find the holy grail of kitten food that will help her put on weight but still keep her hydrated and healthy. Even though my gut tells me that she's probably ok, my head is in information overload with "what if" and "omg!".

So if anyone has any thoughts and advice, I'd be grateful. I've gotten extremely attached to this little stinker in 6 days and I'd be devastated if anything happened to her.

Thank you in advance!!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When is her last meal at night? I have to give Demi a snack before bed or he throws up in the mornings, it's too long for him to go without food.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's her name ? After she has been sick should give her plain food. Boiled chicken and rice is great .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When is her last meal at night? I have to give Demi a snack before bed or he throws up in the mornings, it's too long for him to go without food.
Her last meal is at sunset, so around 9pm at this point. I do make sure leave a small scoop of her kitten chow for her to nibble on through the night in case she gets the urge for a snack. I also keep her water changed 3 times a day.

What's her name ? After she has been sick should give her plain food. Boiled chicken and rice is great .
Her name is Miracle, but we call her Miry for short. I picked up some chicken leg quarters so I will set a couple of those up to boil with some rice just for her. I also picked up a few cans of tuna to make her some tuna juice/slurry in the food processor just in case.

Thank you!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a pretty name. Thank you for rescuing Her! My kitten spent first 3 months of her life sick every other night . Think it was her nerves plus sensitive tummy so know your pain . She's been through a lot plus on antibiotics. Chicken and rice - carbs of rice will help with weight

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to avoid using tuna as a go to, once in awhile it's totally fine but they can become addicted to it and it's not the best thing for them in the long run! Best wishes and I hope you figure everything out with your new baby (thank you for taking her in) xx

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Miry-Mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! Miry seems to be so much improved this evening and quite enjoyed the boiled chicken and rice. She also finished her dinner this evening except for a few bites!

She's definitely way more active this afternoon and evening. I was probably just overreacting and over worried. Thank you so much for letting me post my concerns.

fodder

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry too much about the throwing up. Cats sometimes just have a puke hehe, especially when they are on antibiotics. It just upsets their stomachs a bit, especially when starting the meds, it just takes some adapting to. Just keep a close eye on her and if it gets worse let your vet know whats going on.
You are really awesome for rescuing her by the way. I hope everything goes well for you guys in the future :D