Kitten With Fleas - To Bathe Or Not?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 month old kitten. He has fleas and tons of flea dirt on him no matter how many times i brush him. He's had advantage flea treatment given to him about 2-3 days ago. I was just wondering if the fleas on him are all dead now, and if i should try to bathe him to get rid of whatever flea/ flea dirt is on him? However he absolutely hates water and runs away when i turn on the tap a little louder than usual.

Would appreciate some advice if it's worth the fight with him to get him to bathe to get rid of those fleas!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try grooming with a fine tooth comb dipped in a mild salt water solution with a bowl of rinse water handy to frequently clean any debris off the comb. This will prevent the need for retreating him with more flea product while establishing bonding and confidence with your touch. If you do decide to bathe him, you should ask your vet about shampoos and retreating for fleas - you don't want to overdose him on medication and cause further problems such as neurological or urinary that show up later on.

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah. My cat also had fleas at that age and had two baths at the vets (mostly because I wasn’t confident in my own abilities to bathe her in case she freaks out and stuff). So that’s always an option. And I’m sure it did help. It kind of made me feel better to know that She was clean, too.

Aside from that, flea combing with an actual flea comb at home also helped. The vet gave her a couple medications for it, too (one oral, one topical). I hear it’s easy to overdose when they are small so I just entrusted that to the vet. Maybe kind of off tangent but just thought to make a note! I’m no expert though seeing that she’s my first cat.

Also vacuuming the house everyday, every nook and cranny. Putting everything in the washing machine, too.

Hope your kitty will be flea free soon!

Last edited: