Kitten With Bad Diarrhea

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
I am writing because I am in need of some major help! I have had two kittens since the beginning of August and one has yet to have a solid stool. We have done EVERYTHING. I spend two days a week at the vet and I am exhausted. They are almost 6 months old now. We have dewormed, 4 rounds of Albon, two rounds of Metrodizonle (spelling), Panacur, countless fecal tests, Fortiflora (discontinued due to worsening), and now S Bouraldii (spelling) as often as I can with work. She did originally have Coccidia which has not popped up on the past two fecal tests we have done but the diarrhea is just as bad if not worse! Just 20 minutes ago she sat down to eat some food and there were half dollar size spots of leakage all over the floor. I am at my wits end and I don't know how to help this poor kitten! The vet at the rescue that I got them from has been treating her but they had to order some sort of medication that comes in a shot form and it still hasn't come but the last time they gave it to her I saw no improvement and I can tell this poor baby is suffering. She is extremely active still, eats fine and drinks plenty of water so I just can't seem to figure out what it is. She gets ZERO dairy products so I know that it isn't that. I wake up every morning to drops of poop on my bed, windowsills, bathroom floor and every other surface she touches and I don't know how much longer I can do this for. I am open to ANY suggestions short of taking her to an emergency vet because I can't afford that. Please help! I'm drowning in poop over here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I read through all those and I’m going to order the probiotic mentioned. She had a GI food that she doesn’t really like (her sister eats it though ) and she has some dry food and plain boiled chicken. I haven’t tried rice water yet but I can do that tonight. This poor kitty runs away from me after she goes to the bathroom cause she knows I’m going to wipe her butt. I don’t want to change her dry food again only because I don’t know if that’s what is causing it and the vet said to hold off on changing it so we can rule it out. I might reach out to the vet that treats my dog and see if they can get her in this weekend, I think she might need some more individualized attention vs the vet that works for the rescue.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just a shot in the dark but I suspect a food allergy. Have you tried her on just boiled chicken? A week of it won't hurt her. If I were you that's what I'd do, just to see what happens. If her stool firms up you might consider switching her to raw. There are a lot of us here who could help you get your bearings, if you wanted.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
It's just a shot in the dark but I suspect a food allergy. Have you tried her on just boiled chicken? A week of it won't hurt her. If I were you that's what I'd do, just to see what happens. If her stool firms up you might consider switching her to raw. There are a lot of us here who could help you get your bearings, if you wanted.
So I have some plain boiled chicken for her in the fridge and she loves it but so does her sister and my dog so it’s going very quickly. My concern is she has always free fed on dry food and I don’t know how much to give her. Also I am gone at least 9 hours a day and I won’t be able to feed her every few hours. How often should a 6 month old cat eat?

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
At six months, she should still be eating a lot, --as much as she is able to consume.
Okay so how do i make sure that she is getting enough? Her sister eats a lot faster than her and I can’t leave our chicken for too long. I’m sure Ethel will just chow it down and Lucy will barely enough any. Bah two is so difficult! Ha

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Does Lucy finish her meals in a fairly short period of time? I think you'll need to separate them for these next few months while Lucy is still growing so she gets the food that she needs.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
Does Lucy finish her meals in a fairly short period of time? I think you'll need to separate them for these next few months while Lucy is still growing so she gets the food that she needs.
I actually woke up this morning and there was poop EVERYWHERE. My dog even had some on her. I texted the vet to see if they can board her until we get this under control. I’m also calling another vet today. I can’t do much more but it’s ruining my brand new house (just finished building) and I know she is suffering.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. My Bengal kitten arrived June 26 and within 6hrs was exploding and really hasn’t stopped. We did the same treatments you did and nothing worked. Boiled chicken worked somewhat. Tested for everything, and he was clear (except coronavirus).

I was able to get him to cow patty state on the Purina EN gastro food and boiled chicken. He then lost interest in that diet. I tried canned foods of different brands/ proteins and he would start exploding again.

About 3 weeks ago I started raw. He’s been doing really well. His coat, eyes look great and he’s bouncing off the walls. I do still leave dry out- I transitioned him to ProPlan kitten since the nutritionals and ingredients were similar to the gastro food. He definitely likes this dry better. For the raw I rotate between pork, rabbit and turkey. He is eating 90% raw now. He still hasn’t had a normal cat log poop but it’s also the longest period he’s gone without exploding.

It’s beyond frustrating. My vets can’t even figure out what to do with him. I wish you luck!

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
So I finally got to pick her up last night (after I pretty much demanded it) and when I got her back she was COVERED in her own poop, her coat has lost all its shine, she was losing clumps of hair at a time, and she was SO SCARED! I brought her home and the minute she saw her sister she perked up and they played all night. I was horrified with her condition and I am still so upset. They were continuing to treat her with antibiotics for a parasite that she has tested negative for 3 times so I stopped that last night, they weren't giving her the anti diarrhea shot they said they would, and they started feeding her some crappy friskies food. She was given the Blue Buffalo HF vet diet food which is now the only food she is eating. I am at a loss with her, she is still having loose stool and using the box pretty often. I have her back on probiotics, better food, and constant companionship with her sister. She is going to a different vet on Saturday so here's to hoping we can figure this out! My poor baby, I almost cried.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
geez, I have no words, other than maybe you can do some online reviews of this place.
I'm so sorry!
Hopefully Saturday proves to be a better experience all around, and in the meantime, maybe try and contain her so that cleanup isn't such an ordeal.

LindseyNicole14

Lucy & Ethel
Young Cat
Purraise
geez, I have no words, other than maybe you can do some online reviews of this place.
I'm so sorry!
Hopefully Saturday proves to be a better experience all around, and in the meantime, maybe try and contain her so that cleanup isn't such an ordeal.
Yea they have been great otherwise but I just don't think they had the time for it and then they had someone out I guess. I have moved all of the litter boxes out of my room and anywhere with carpet for now to see if that will cut down on the amount of poo I am cleaning off the carpets and my bed ha. I know the vet I am taking her to is great, I take my dog there and they have been amazing! :thumbsup:

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also had luck adding the s bouliardii probiotic 2x a day. It’s tasteless and I have no issues getting it into him.

I would suggest a gastro food. Purina EN and Royal Canin high energy gastro are the ones that are suitable for growth.

I started with 100% boiled and puréed chicken and once his tummy settled I started adding the gastro. As soon as I added any canned he would blow.

If you are open to it- I really would try raw. I’m on the month mark and we are 8 days with normal cat log, once a day. I’m get it’s not for everyone, but it’s honestly not much more work and I’d rather make his food then scrub my walls, boxes and my kitten everyday!