Kitten with back injury

sharonwitch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old kitten, Salem, has been having issues walking. I noticed him walking stiffly & sitting down more about a week and a half ago. His appetite was off also, I assume from being in pain. The vet examined him last Monday & took an xray, which didn’t show anything. She did say he tensed up when his back was palpated, so it’s some kind of injury he must’ve gotten from a fall at some point. I never saw him hurt himself. He got a shot for pain & I kept him confined until Friday - seemed a little better walking when I first let him out, but by the end of the day he wasn’t walking right again so I put him back in the playpen. The vet is going to consult with a radiologist to review his xrays. She also suggested I may want to have him examined by a surgeon. My head is spinning…I researched back/spine injuries online & it’s possible minor injuries can resolve by strict cage rest for 4-6 weeks. So I don’t want to let him walk around if he should be resting. He just got neutered 3 weeks ago so I don’t like the idea of him getting tons of pain meds & possibly anesthesia again if he needs a ct scan or, God forbid, surgery. It’s so upsetting. His appetite is good & he’s feisty as ever. Also uses the litter box with no problem. Has anyone else had a cat - especially a young one - that has had a back injury & they recovered?

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well how old is he? My cat used to walk a lot like that when he was younger I’m not entirely sure why, but anyways I hope he gets better soon and I hope he is not severely hurt. God bless ❤

I hope this helped

DillandAnnie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a sudden back injury when he was 8 years old, so not young but not super old either. He ended up having disc disease/IVDD which was finally diagnosed after a month of symptoms and multiple vet visits by an MRI.

We kept him confined to a room for about a month with no high furniture, which did wonders. This was 2 years ago and while He still has flare ups every once in awhile, the rest and confinement really helped his condition.

I’m not sure if that helps since IVDD seems rare in cats and probably not what’s happening with your cat, but just wanted to share a positive story about a cat recovering from a back injury. I hope your kitty gets better soon!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would keep him somewhat confined and see if it helps. As long as he is eating and using the litter box it is not too bad. Possible just sore. Maybe for now keep him at cage rest for a few days, but if he gets really anxious to get out, that would be worse. Then try to keep him in a room with nowhere to jump, or possibly a ramp to a bed for a week and see how he does. He should get SOME exercise. At that age he should heal quickly.

Mygoodkitty

My_kitten_precious
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree, you should try to make it easier so that he shouldn’t have to jump from place to place and just try to keep him from straining his back, and also yes he is young so it should heal up faster, my cat is just fine now. God bless ❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think a sprain or bruise would show on x-ray. That could take a few days to clear up..

I would agree at least a week or two of limited movement. It's hard, but the rest really helps for them. We used to curl up with a book and the cat when they have to be confined or use a laptop to watch something.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My young cat just had surgery and he is currently restricted to cage rest. Hopefully, quiet and rest will help little Salem to recover from whatever is ailing him. Prayers that it isn't anything serious and that he gets better soon. :catlove:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did they say where his back was palpated when he tensed up? My cat had a bad back muscle sprain a few years ago, she quit eating and was in a lot of pain (we took care of that part.) But it took a few weeks of rest to really let it heal. Her spine was fine, but the muscles along her spine were very sore. (If I massaged a very sore spot on her left side, ALL of the muscles on her opposite side would start jumping and reacting, it was crazy.)

GregPatel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If it's a spinal disc issue, x-ray wouldn't show anything (at least to my understanding). Can it possibly be a sprained muscle though? It is possible he jumped and fell from somewhere and you didn't see it.