Kitten With A Very Very Smelly Butt!

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 month old kitten’s butt STINKS. I’m not sure how to describe the smell, it just smells dirty and stinky almost like poo? But not exactly like poo, it’s a sour smell. His litter box is cleaned everyday and his litter box does not smell. However ever since we got him his butt has stank. I bathed him twice and then I try my best to wipe down his butt every couple days. The smell goes down but it’s always there.

I’m not sure where it’s coming from. He isn’t neutered yet, we were told to neuter him at 6 months. Could that be it?

Also, I notice he literally sits in his little box while he pees and poops. No squating. No standing. Just sitting. He has long hair so it gets dirty easily. I wonder if that’s it? I notice his butt is sometimes wet after using the litter box so I take some wipes with cat shampoo and wash his butt but it still smells. I thought cats weren’t supposed to smell. I’m not sure what to do.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might just need the hair on his rear end shaved. Although unlikely, he could need his anal glands drained - I have known only 2 cats who needed that & both were rather obese, older female cats.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would agree with shaving his behind as a first step to deal with the smell. Has he been seen by a vet? The vet might get have an idea of whether he smells like poop, diarrhea, infection or something else. Does his poop look solid? What is he eating? Is he growing well? There’s a kitten weight chart on this page.

Hope you get this resolved. Sending you sweet smelling vibes.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be the anal glands. sometimes they get full and stinky secretions ooze out. The vet can check the glands and express the If needed.

Cats can be neutered earlier than 6 months old. There's no need to wait to have the procedure done. Some vets are old school and insist on waiting until 6 months. You can have the neuter done at a different hospital or clinic, even at one of those spay mobile things pet stores sometimes have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your suggestions!

I’ll be taking him to the vet tomorrow and I’ll have her exam him.