kitten was spayed today and now mama hisses and growls at her?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is breaking my heart. The mama and kitten have been inseparable ever since birth. The kitten is 6 months old, and today she went in for her spay. Her mama has been hissing and growling at her ever since she's returned. What is going on? This is the mama's only kitten. I purposely kept them together so they would have each other. I don't understand what is happening?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's called "non recognition aggression," and it frequently happens after trips to the vet because the cat comes home smelling different. Trust me, it will pass, but it's so upsetting to see two cats who are friends not recognize each other that I now take both of my cats to the vet even if only one needs to be seen. Give it a few days and everything will be back to normal.

Non-Recognition Aggression Syndrome In Cats - Good Pet Parent.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
This is breaking my heart. The mama and kitten have been inseparable ever since birth. The kitten is 6 months old, and today she went in for her spay. Her mama has been hissing and growling at her ever since she's returned. What is going on? This is the mama's only kitten. I purposely kept them together so they would have each other. I don't understand what is happening?
This is because the kitten smells of the vet's office and it's not familiar a scent to the mama.

What you can do is take a soft towel and gently rub it over the mama's body from head to toes and then use the same towel and gently wipe all over the kitten's body.

This is to transfer mama's scent on the kitten so that it'll be a familiar scent to her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much! I am glad to hear it won't be permanent. I have since done some research now that I know what the name of it is. I will try the towel technique, as well. It's odd my other two cats didn't miss a beat. Only her mama responded this way. My roommate and I are going to keep the kitten separated tonight from her mama. I also washed the kitten down with a warm, soft cloth. The kitten has been to the vet at least three times previous for her vaccines and boosters.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
What you can do is take a soft towel and gently rub it over the mama's body from head to toes and then use the same towel and gently wipe all over the kitten's body.

This is to transfer mama's scent on the kitten so that it'll be a familiar scent to her.
~ I learn something every time I visit :worship:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same thing happen with my girl kitty when she went to be spayed. There's usually a hiss or two when one of my cats return from the doctor, but the spaying must smell worse to the others. It took about 4 or 5 days for the hissing to stop when she was spayed. There were a couple of swats, too, and this took place between closely-bonded cats.

Everything will work out all right, I'm sure.