Kitten Vomiting Roundworms

abbyyy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello guys! I have a 9-10 week old kitten named Kenny. A few days ago he sort of "passed out" and had a couple muscle convulsions (NOT a full blown seizure, just ears and legs twitching a it). He became really dizzy and would fall asleep and wouldn't budge if you moved him or pet him. 2 days after that he threw up a roundworm. I took him to the vet and they gave him a dose of panacur and sent me home with 2 doses to give him. The day after his second dose he becasme very lethargic and wouldn't eat. I took him back to the vet for fluids and a special kind of high calorie food. The vet advised not to give the third dose in case he was backed up because he also hasn't had a bowel movement for over 24 hours. He just now threw up another roundworm, making for a total of 4 live worms thrown up in the past 3 days. Any ideas of what could be going on or what I can do to help him?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he has still not had a bowel movement, he needs to go back to the vet again, asap. Throwing up worms is not that uncommon if the kitten has a full load of the nasty little beggars, but not having a movement is a big deal in a real hurry. Keep us posted, please! Sorry I'm so late getting here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abbyyy3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've taken him to the vet 3 times in the past 2 weeks. They said to take him back if he doesn't have a bowel movement by tomorrow. He keeps trying and nothing happens and he won't eat a thing. I've tried literally every kind of food, supplement, you name it.

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would try a hairball gel like Petromalt, it acts as a laxative. Or slippery elm or pumpkin puree. Also syringe feed watered down canned food

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If all else fails, a little olive oil will often get things moving again! Let us know how he is.

In the worry over Kenny, I totally forgot to welcome you to TCS. I'm sorry it took a health scare to bring you here, but so glad to have you! When things calm down a bit, click here New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and Kenny to the community. We'd love pictures of him.