Kitten trying to eat toys?

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I posted a while back abut some stray kittens and a mom someone had dumped and I fostered, and while the mom and two kittens were re-homed, I had to end up keeping two unfortunately. I'm still hoping to re-home them as soon as a rescue or home can take them, as unfortunately, living with my parents who have dogs and their own cats including my own one cat, they aren't the most willing to bring them inside permanently. They do have a heated room, beds, etc., clean water, food, etc. though! I'm still hoping I can better provide for them or find homes, but I'm doing all I can at the moment.

But, I have an issue I've never really had with a cat before though. One of the two cats, the more social one, seems to try to eat toys when he plays? He loves chasing toys, so I got a long 'fishing pole' toy with various attachments that he likes to chase. With the feathers especially though, I have been hesitant to really let him play with them even when supervised because he tried to eat them. I tried switching to little mice toys since I was worried the feathers were unsafe if he ingested any, and the same issue was still there. I was unable to add images for some reason, but he managed to rip a hole into one toy and the feather tease toy he is no longer allowed to play with after ripping part of it (that being the first toy that was confiscated after fear of ingestion). Is there a reason he is doing this while no other cat I have owned has had this issue? Additionally, if it is just really aggressive play, any sturdy toys you could recommend that he could chase so that he can still play without having to worry about ingesting anything or hurting his teeth?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just really get into killing their toys more than others. Some go so far as to skin and disembowel them even though they are toys.

You could just have a cat with a really high prey drive.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some cats just really get into killing their toys more than others. Some go so far as to skin and disembowel them even though they are toys.

You could just have a cat with a really high prey drive.
Thank you! I have seen the skinneeez at a local store recently on sale, so I may try those first then! But for the fur on them, is there a risk of him pulling the fur out and swallowing it? I'm not sure about Kong cat toys, but there dog toys are pretty sturdy I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's the same for their cat toys.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat with some pica tendencies and she ingested some of her toys. Just have to go extra big, keep all your locked away, or only during supervised play. She ate some and it was terrifying. Definitely look at toys by what could get chewed off and swallowed.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our eldest, Casper, likes to pull the fur from his plush mouse toys. It's got a little pocket inside with a Velcro closure which is meant to hold some catnip. Casper will occasionally disembowel the mouse to get at the catnip, directly.

In fact, Casper's favorite mouse toy is completely threadbare. He probably swallowed most of the missing fur but, in all these years, nothing bad has ever happened. Even though we bought him a new one, exactly like the original, he still prefers to play with the old, torn up one.

If your cat is only swallowing a few bits of fur from his plush toys or a small bite of a feather toy, I wouldn't be too worried.

It sounds, to me, like your cat is used to hunting in order to feed himself. As you know, play is a domestic cat's proxy for hunting. If you have a cat that's making the transition from outdoors, feeding himself, to a house cat where his feeding needs are met you are likely to see him tearing up his toys as if they are fresh kill.

With that in mind, he's probably used to eating a few mouths full of fur, feathers and even bits of bone. When he "kills" and eats his toys, he's probably swallowing no more "stuff" than he would if he was hunting on his own.

I'd say that, if he's tearing his toys up too much, take them away and get him new ones. Otherwise, just keep an eye out to be sure that he's not swallowing more than a few bits of fluff or feathers.

Regardless whether it's a hunting behavior or something else, some cats are just harder on their toys than others, I guess.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have seen the skinneeez at a local store recently on sale, so I may try those first then! But for the fur on them, is there a risk of him pulling the fur out and swallowing it? I'm not sure about Kong cat toys, but there dog toys are pretty sturdy I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's the same for their cat toys.
I wouldn't be to worried about the odd bit of fluff cats eat rodents whole, fur, skin, bones and all, and it usualy just passes right through. My old cat was a real huntress and she swallowed mouse skulls and nothing happened. She would leave me the decapitated bodies in my shoes or in my bedroom.

Anyways yes a bit of fuzz won't hurt them, feathers and large bits might though.

price053

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I posted a while back abut some stray kittens and a mom someone had dumped and I fostered, and while the mom and two kittens were re-homed, I had to end up keeping two unfortunately. I'm still hoping to re-home them as soon as a rescue or home can take them, as unfortunately, living with my parents who have dogs and their own cats including my own one cat, they aren't the most willing to bring them inside permanently. They do have a heated room, beds, etc., clean water, food, etc. though! I'm still hoping I can better provide for them or find homes, but I'm doing all I can at the moment.

But, I have an issue I've never really had with a cat before though. One of the two cats, the more social one, seems to try to eat toys when he plays? He loves chasing toys, so I got a long 'fishing pole' toy with various attachments that he likes to chase. With the feathers especially though, I have been hesitant to really let him play with them even when supervised because he tried to eat them. I tried switching to little mice toys since I was worried the feathers were unsafe if he ingested any, and the same issue was still there. I was unable to add images for some reason, but he managed to rip a hole into one toy and the feather tease toy he is no longer allowed to play with after ripping part of it (that being the first toy that was confiscated after fear of ingestion). Is there a reason he is doing this while no other cat I have owned has had this issue? Additionally, if it is just really aggressive play, any sturdy toys you could recommend that he could chase so that he can still play without having to worry about ingesting anything or hurting his teeth?
My Grayson loves to eat the tails off all the mice toys I give him, so I cut the tails off and he was great after that.. My Grayson is a eater of all things not good so I have to watch him closely..

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
This is always a controversial issue - 50/50 that it's fine for cats to ingest feathers,bones etc vs NO! Potential risks and hazards such as choking,blockages ,punctuations or lacerations in the mouth or worse yet, internally

So my advice is always to purchase toys for cats n kittens in the same way you would for a small child- just to be safe

Keep in mind that because homeless cats survive on rodents & birds and often eat feathers,fur and bones they are pretty hungry to do so and that the average lifespan of a feral or stray is 2 to 3 yrs---- no doubt what they eat contributes to a shortened lifespan

IndyJones IndyJones provided good references for kitty safe toys---& someone else mentioned a cat with pica- I've got one of those too and just have to be extra vigilant in watching what they can get in their mouth..... no different that having a toddler running about the house,right?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my advice is always to purchase toys for cats n kittens in the same way you would for a small child- just to be safe
Absolutely! :)

When my father was raising hunting dogs we always considered the durability of any toys or training aids we gave to the dogs. Whether it be Frisbees or retrieving dummies, I remember it being common to say, "The dogs will tear that [toy] up too fast!"

Tennis balls often didn't last more than a day or two. Lacrosse balls were the usual retrieving toy of choice.

(Lacrosse balls are made from the same kind of rubber that Kong toys are made from... This was from the days when Kong toys weren't invented, yet.)

Anyhow, yes! You should always consider a toy's durability and safety before giving it to your cat, no matter how gentle or hard they are on their toys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Idk a good username

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice!

His play is always supervised so there hasn't been any issues yet, but I had just worried about swallowing toys where the feathers or mice toys are artificial fur instead of real fur. But it's reassuring to know not only that others haven't had issues with just a small amount swallowed, but also that my little guy is not just possessed or something 😅 It sounds like with him, I'll just have to be more watchful and invest just a bit more money and vigilance into his toys than I have when buying toys for my other cats. I'll buy some Kickeroos as soon as stores are not so crowded and post an update on how he does and everything.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm using the Ethical Pets Spot Skinneeez stuffingless fox dog toy with my cats and they enjoy beating the heck out of it. My cats are known for shredding feather toys and plush worms so I only keep those out when I'm playing with them.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the feedback and advice!

His play is always supervised so there hasn't been any issues yet, but I had just worried about swallowing toys where the feathers or mice toys are artificial fur instead of real fur. But it's reassuring to know not only that others haven't had issues with just a small amount swallowed, but also that my little guy is not just possessed or something 😅 It sounds like with him, I'll just have to be more watchful and invest just a bit more money and vigilance into his toys than I have when buying toys for my other cats. I'll buy some Kickeroos as soon as stores are not so crowded and post an update on how he does and everything.
You're so welcome,it is our pleasure!We'd loooove to see photos and can't wait for more updates!

Have a look around,come join us in the many Forums & sections here at TCS❤