Kitten Tries To Eat Litter??!

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just picked up the 9 week old kitten tabby today and at the house i picked up they were using pellet style litter and the owner said that he was trained... However i bought home the new white crystal litter (little pebble feeling) and when i got home and put him in, he started eating it and i had to pull it out... At first i thought he was smelling but he tried to chew it like dry food. It smells nothing like dryfood.. What is going on?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's actually pretty normal for kittens to try eating cat litter. This is why it's always recommended to use a non clumping litter for younger kittens (a clumping litter can cause way more problems if ingested). It's also normal for kittens to go through a phase of playing with their litter, especially an unfamiliar one. He'll grow out of it, and it's no big deal.

Your best bet is to switch to the litter he's used to for now, and switch over to the crystal litter once he's more settled.
When And How To Switch To A New Type Of Litter
The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the new kitten. He's a cutie pie. :catlove:

Like little kids, kittens will sometimes try to eat anything, including litter, so ensure you are using a non-clumping litter until you are confident he's outgrown the behaviour.

If you see it happen again, try to remove any litter from his mouth, and then put his food dish in front of him. If you think he may have eaten a considerable amount of litter, please contact your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys, should i get the identical pellet litter or can i get the sand type?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd get the pellet type right now. I did that with my guys at first - they were used to pellet style paper litter, so I started with that till they were a bit older, then switched to my regular one :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Monetcat33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys will try pellet.
Exactly what color and type of tabby is he? Black silver gold blotched or marbled??

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how to describe his marking either, but he's pawsitively gorgeous. :catlove:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say he is marbled and cute :happycat:.... but I know nothing about cat markings. His coat swirls remind me of a marbled cake or marbled brownie ;)

He will out grow his litter issues by 4-5 months max....... though my 4.5 month old kittens are good balls who still play in the litter boxes and try to use the litter box at the same time. They stopped trying to eat it and were safe with clumping by three months.

BTW when you switch litter I would do it slowly. Mixing it half and half for a few weeks then mostly sand with a sprinkle of pellets. That or just give him another box with clumping litter in it. When he uses it regularly for a month, then switch out the pellets for sand in the other box.

Take lots of pictures they grow up so quickly!!!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Classic, marble or blotched is the name, just other ords.

Color of this sweet kitten is brown tabby.