Kitten To Adult Food Transition?

NoxfordComma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have two healthy male kittens who are going to be 10 months old next week. I am struggling with cutting back on their food and even knowing how much to give them in the first place.

I feed my cats approximately 1.5 ounces of wet kitten food 4 times a day, and they get a cup of dry food to share and eat freely over the course of a few days. Due to different eating habits, I'd say Nox is eating 4-5 ounces of wet food per day and Bowie is eating the full 6 that I give them, maybe even 6.5 if he nibbles at what Nox doesn't eat. They are both very active kitties - I'd say they're the same weight but Bowie is slightly smaller in stature so his weight manifests in a little bit of chunk.

My cats are in the groove of being fed breakfast, lunch, and two dinners. I would love to get them down to even just three feedings for now but I don't know where to begin. Do I cut down their amount of food altogether, or give them the same amount of food just in fewer feedings? Should I start incorporating adult food? Are they eating too few/too many ounces (I know the calories are what's most important but I do not have access to that right now)? I am considering taking away the free feeding on dry food and giving them a set amount each day but other than that I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Any advice?

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You could feed them food labeled for "all life stages." It is appropriate for...well, all life stages. Lol! Kittens to seniors.

As far as the free feeding goes, you could keep that up until they reach a year or you can see that they have stopped growing/are starting to put on too much weight.

I don't think there would be an issue with giving them 3 meals a day instead of four! Their tummies are bigger, so they can easily eat 2 or 3 oz in a sitting (in fact, my 7 month old gets 3oz per feed, twice a day). You could let them direct you as well- give them 1.5oz per feed. If they seem especially antsy, up the amount to 2 oz per feed the next day. They will still have the dry to graze on, so they won't go hungry.

After a year, you could cut down to just 2 or 3 wet meals a day and get rid of the dry altogether, if that works with your budget. :) Dry food, even the best stuff on the market, is very dehydrating. I personally think it's necessary for kittens because they have tiny tummies and eat SO MUCH, but less so for adults.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have two healthy male kittens who are going to be 10 months old next week. I am struggling with cutting back on their food and even knowing how much to give them in the first place.
At 10 months old, your kitties are still very much a kitten at a growing stage. They'll reach maturity at 1 year old (bigger breeds mature at 2-4 years old.

So at age, they are going through a growth spurt which they may eat more than usual and will continue eating more way past their one year old. After they have reached a point after that, their food intake will taper down.

For now, feed them as much wet food as they can eat and cnmtinue feeding wet food and wean off dry. Wet food are better for make cats and wet food keeps them hydrated.

Yes, as what EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie mentioned, you can feed them wet food labeled 'For All Life Stages'. Just make sure they get around 250 calories each day.
My boy is on food labeled 'For All Life Stages' since he's 3 weeks old till now. He's 3 years and 3 months old.

Last edited:

kitkatgurl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally think that counting calories isn't necessary but just watching the girth on your kitty. I also have a 10 month old but we have an active lifestyle. While I go by the guidelines on the bag of dry (she also gets wet 2 x day with her supplements) I gauge her eating habits that day (or the day before) and make adjustments if necessary. If she has shown a voracious appetite then I might add a bit extra the next meal (I don't measure just add "some") .

Maisie walks with a harness and leash and now that the cold Canadian winter
is departing (crossing all my digits here), I also anticipate that she'll burn up extra calories outside as opposed to tree climbing in the apartment.

Think about it in comparison to us. Lazy days we don't burn up a lot of calories so any extra food (eg chips, french fries) will add to the midline. But taking a good long walk the next day can balance out those extras. I think it's basically over the long run that counts and not so much on a daily basis.
No matter what, our kitties would NEVAH let them starve.