Kitten to Adult: Cat Food Suggestions

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, many of the dry cat food recommendations are limited to products in the States and as someone from Southeast Asia, it's a little trickier.

The "top-tier" brands here are Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen, Royal Canin etc. - however, I have my reservations due to the addition of peas, potatoes and other sources of carbohydrates.

Have been feeding them Brit Premium Kitten and now a more economical brand (as it's what I had on hand) that I'm about to phase out for a more adult-appropriate diet (going to be a 1-year-old soon).

Currently giving them dry food twice a day and wet food once a day.
One eats the regular wet food, the other doesn't :cringe: So I end up feeding wet kitten food until I run out of it.

Their littermate had been confirmed FeLV positive prior to PTS (he had been doing poorly) but they are doing well except their stool is just smelly at the moment.

Have considered Petcurean Go! but there isn't a distributor here D: The same goes for Dr Elsey's dry food.

I remember reading somewhere that cats eating (particularly) high protein dry food need to be well-hydrated or is that the case regardless of the food?

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all, many of the dry cat food recommendations are limited to products in the States and as someone from Southeast Asia, it's a little trickier.

The "top-tier" brands here are Taste of the Wild, Acana, Orijen, Royal Canin etc. - however, I have my reservations due to the addition of peas, potatoes and other sources of carbohydrates.

Have been feeding them Brit Premium Kitten and now a more economical brand (as it's what I had on hand) that I'm about to phase out for a more adult-appropriate diet (going to be a 1-year-old soon).

One eats the regular wet food, the other doesn't :cringe: So I end up feeding wet kitten food until I run out of it.

Their littermate had been confirmed FeLV positive prior to PTS (he had been doing poorly) but they are doing well except their stool is just smelly at the moment.

Have considered Petcurean Go! but there isn't a distributor here D: The same goes for Dr Elsey's dry food.

I remember reading somewhere that cats eating (particularly) high protein dry food need to be well-hydrated or is that the case regardless of the food?
I started my (2) kittens on Blue Buffalo Chicken canned in the 3.3 Oz size. I also feed them Dry chicken as well. When they transitioned to Adults. The adult Blue Buffalo canned Chicken didn't agree with them. Now I'm feeding "Red Meat" Wilderness in a 5.5 Oz can. Plus a mix of Adult dry Chicken /hairball control + Adult dry "Red Meat" Wilderness.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I feed my boy Tiki Cat canned food. Stay away from dry food. Kibble causes a lot of health problems and no benefits. Tiki Cat is human-grade and is pea and potato-free. Tiki Cat has a new line of raw diets that I'd love to try at some point, too.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my boy Tiki Cat canned food. Stay away from dry food. Kibble causes a lot of health problems and no benefits. Tiki Cat is human-grade and is pea and potato-free. Tiki Cat has a new line of raw diets that I'd love to try at some point, too.
There's nothing wrong with "Dry Food" as long as suitable amounts of water is nearby. I have a Water Fountain for my boys that runs 24/7. So feeding dry food there's never any issue of lack of moisture nearby.

BoaztheAdventureCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's nothing wrong with "Dry Food" as long as suitable amounts of water is nearby. I have a Water Fountain for my boys that runs 24/7. So feeding dry food there's never any issue of lack of moisture nearby.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Catinfo.org has more details about why dry food is not good for cats. There are cats who are dry food addicts and will not eat any canned food. You just have to feed them the best quality dry food you can and make sure they get plenty of water.

tabbytom tabbytom any suggestions on brands of food available in Southeast Asia?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
any suggestions on brands of food available in Southeast Asia?
I'm not sure which part of S.E.A. TS is from and what she mentioned in her post, I guess it's pretty much the same for the brands she mentioned.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tortiesandtabbies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the comments and various input about dry/wet food. Have chosen Brit Care Kitten for the time being (36% dehydrated turkey, 20% fresh chicken meat and poultry fat as the first 3 ingredients, the other 2 main ingredients are chickpeas (12%) and yellow peas (8%).

I do alternate one wet food portion a day with the other 2 being dry so fingers-crossed.

Islandsportivo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two furries love Wellness natural pet food. I guess here it is important to find a balance between good quality brand and your cat's likings. I've tried few very good quality dry foods but my cats where not so interested in those. The dry food would stay for days and they wouldn't even touch it. This article has description of few different brands https://www.cаtfoodpoint.com/best-dry-cat-food/, their pros and cons and suggestions where you can order them.