Kitten Suckling & Threading

Madeleine St-Martin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How do I get my Siamese 4 month old male kitten to stop suckling and threading my skin, his claws hurt?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try saying "No" with a calmed and firm voice. It will not make wonders instantly but It should work with time and consistency. And, of course, be sure that he has some toys and scratchers that he can attack freely.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Had several kittens who tried nursing on my earlobes. You need to redirect them to something they can knead and suckle on. A folded piece of Fleece works well, anything really that is soft and fuzzy works pretty good. And usually a kitten starts this kind of behavior when they are getting fussy and sleepy. Gently stroking their nose from tip to top usually has them asleep in a few minutes.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Downstairs my kitten suckles on the microfiber cloth I used to use when I bottle fed him. When he comes to bed with me I have a stuffed animal to re-direct him to. It seems to work well for the most part.

My other kitten loves to knead me. I keep their nails trimmed so it doesn't hurt though, so I don't mind at all. Free massages!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Madeleine St-Martin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try saying "No" with a calmed and firm voice. It will not make wonders instantly but It should work with time and consistency. And, of course, be sure that he has some toys and scratchers that he can attack freely.
I've been doing that for months, it doesn't work, so I gave in but that's not good as he sucks even harder now. He has lots of toys. I will continue to discourage him. Thanks for the reply.

Madeleine St-Martin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Had several kittens who tried nursing on my earlobes. You need to redirect them to something they can knead and suckle on. A folded piece of Fleece works well, anything really that is soft and fuzzy works pretty good. And usually a kitten starts this kind of behavior when they are getting fussy and sleepy. Gently stroking their nose from tip to top usually has them asleep in a few minutes.
Thanks for the reply.
Thanks for your reply.

Madeleine St-Martin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks