Kitten Sucking On Humans

Alice catlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, long time no see! :wave3:

So, my little weirdo, 6 months old kitten, Nala, has started sucking on my skin. It started when she figured out I have a skinflap under my arm. I’m doing my best to hide it from her, so now she’ll just suck on naked skin on the arm. I’m not even going to tell you the story about the time my brother came to stay with us and fell asleep with this top off. :lol:

Anyways, it seems like this has kind of become her form of cuddle. She doesn’t do it during the day, but at night, when I go to bed, she comes running. She’ll suck, grunt and purr, before falling asleep. It’s like it’s her night thing.

The problem is that it really hurts, because she is also kneading with her claws out. And it feels kind of.. wrong. I’ve tried to push her gently away - she get’s kind of «sad». I’ve tried giving her lot’s of love and cuddle, and at the same time pushing her away from my arm - she won’t have it, she’ll be back like a magnet. I’ve tried wearing sweaters to bed - she starts sucking on the sweater. I’ve tried wrapping myself into my duvet, like a human burrito - she’ll try to get under the duvet.

I’m kind of lost, to why she’s doing this and to how to make her stop. I got her at 12 weeks old, and she’s a happy, healthy kitten, outgoing and tough. Her sister Sorry doesn’t do anything like this, and looks at her like she’s crazy whenever she goes off. She started this when she was around 4-4,5 month, and it seems to be getting worse. She might try my brother, but other than that, it’s always me. She doesn’t do it to my hubby at all.

So, yeah.. help! Is my kitten crazy? :lol:

Saber_Wing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my boys still does this, but with blankets. In particular, any blanket that is bunched up on my bed, when he's cuddling with me. Maybe try covering up with those when you can, and see if she'll go for it? He likes the fuzzy ones.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Krista has a licking obsession. She’ll groom me, the blankets, the comforter. She leaves wet spots from this activity. And now I think it’s part of her hairball problem. I don’t know what to tell you. I guess I’m just chiming in to hear the advice from others. Maybe get her a blanket or a stuffed animal for this and try to redirect her preference?

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Buddy suckles as well. I trained him to suckle his paw while I hold him. When he goes for my skin; I put his paw near his mouth and he suckles that instead. Now he’s at a point that he will suckle his paw independently of me.

I was told this may happen with kittens who weren’t raised by their mother.