Kitten steeps toy in water dish...normal?

squibb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
so im not brand new to haveing a cat around but ive never had a kitten before, my girlfriend and i recently got a kitten from a woman who saved the litter this little guy was in ( im guessing the mother was a stray.). Hes four months now and we got him new toys about three weeks ago, two of which hes in love with which are fluffy mice one orange and one purple. The thing is (and hes very perticular about it.) that he'll constantly soak the purple mouse toy in his water and leave it there only to come back for it an hour or so later and take it out, proceeding to munch, shake and flail the toy untill water gushes and sprays out of it. He will keep at this and even go so far as to stop, drop it on the floor to sit on it then pick it back up and continue on his water fuled rampage with it until its dry. It doesnt bother us, infact we find it entertaining especially since water normally freaks the little guy out but i wasnt sure if he was trying to get something through to us or just being weird.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds funny!  Guess he likes that one a little moist as opposed to "dry" for the orange one.  I actually think he's "hiding" it from other predators.  As long as he's not hurting anything, let him continue doing it.

barbh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 2 year old boy Taz does the same thing with his toys and has been doing this since he was a kitten. Not only is it his actual toys, but any object that he deems as a toy. From what I read it is not all that unusal for some cats to play with their water dish. Still after two years it comes as a bit of a surprise when he decides to drop one of his wet mice in my lap when he wants to play fetch :)

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mogli has been drowning his balls in his water dish for the past few weeks, so it's probably not "abnormal", though you have to wonder what they're thinking.:lol3: We've had other members say their cats do the same thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squibb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, well im releived to know this isnt seriouse or abnormal for a cat to do this, i had looked online for answers before only to come up empty handed lol. thank you!

ktknievel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my past cats Fuji did the same, though not quite to the degree your kitten does, you should try to get a video of it, sounds so funny :lol3:

Our take on Fuj's behaviour was initially a hiding trick. But, the more we watched him over the years the more we started to think that he very simply preferred the texture, taste, smell and sloshing sound the wet toys made, especially the little mice that were kind of hollow and would fill with water :lol3:

Oh man, you brought back some great memories! :rbheart:

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol! One of my cats does the same thing :clap: I think she drinks the water out of her mouse once it is thoroughly soaked, which is kind of gross, considering where all it goes in a day. I just wash bowl and change the water a lot. She also scoops water out of the bowl with a cupped paw and drinks it. Cats are such little weirdos!

archerbaby

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our foster kittens did this but she took it to a new extreme...she made herself some catnip tea!  I'd made the kittens some catnip stuffed toys (which they all went crazy for, btw!) and at some point one night she took it and dropped it into her water dish.  I got up the next morning to do the normal feeding, watering & litter box changing & saw this brownish liquid in the water bowl.  Freaked me out for a second (I wasn't fully awake yet) until I realized that she'd dropped the catnip toy into the water & that's all it was.  Silly girl, guess she felt she needed an infusion of the catnip instead of just chewing on the toy