Kitten sensitive to all drugs??

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all – it’s a long time since I needed kitten help :p

I have a super cute almost 14 week old Burmese kitten who got neutered 2 days ago (Monday Australian time). All went well, I got him home that evening and he was still zonked for an hour or so, then he went CRAZY. For about 12 hours (all through the night) we just played non-stop – and not just playing but crazy playing. Usually even when he’s crazy, after you hold him for a bit he snuggles in and has a little cuddle. But Monday night he was just attacking non-stop, harassing the other animals all night and being a nut case in general. At about 1:30am with no sleep, I put him in a hallway area that I can close off so he only had access to the hall, laundry and bathroom. Unfortunately my mum was staying over, and her room is also off that hallway, so she heard meow and let him in – it’s still only a smallish space, but where he usually gets confined at night, and apparently he continued being psycho the rest of the night, jumping on her head, attacking everything etc.

The next day (yesterday), he just slept the entire day. My mum was home with my daughter and said they could barely wake him, he was a complete rag doll. He was confined to his room last night on his own, and didn’t hear a peep from him, and he seems back to normal today.

His normal behaviour is normal kitten stuff – play like a crazy thing for a while, chasing everything he can find, sleep for a while, play snuggle sleep play snuggle sleep and repeat :D This is definitely out of the ordinary for him.

He got his second round of kitten shots a bit over a week ago, and seemed to have a reaction to the vax – we lost him for hours, and finally found him curled up in a drawer completely listless, refusing to eat and drink. After an hour of no change, he spent a night at the emergency vet on fluids (we thought he’d been trapped in the drawer, and it was super hot, so we assumed dehydration), and it wasn’t until the wee hours that they suspected vax reaction, and gave him an anti-inflammatory shot that he finally started responding.

Could he just be super sensitive to all medication? I’m waiting for the vet to call back, but I’m wondering if anyone’s come across anything similar? He’s got one more round of kitten shots and I’m a little nervous! They'll give him an anti-inflammatory before the vax, but I'm still a bit worried.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
To address the first question I. Regards to his behavior post-op. I'd consider it fairly normal. I would have advised against rigorous playing with him the night after surgery as the post-op meds can cause them not to have good judgement about pain levels. And, after such a stressful day, normal for him to sleep so much the following day.

As for vaccine reactions...
I've had several that have had reactions. Mine vomit and have had one that had an anaphylactic reaction. I would follow the advice your vet has to offer.
I would suggest making sure you only administer one vaccine at a time and wait 1-2 weeks before giving anything else. (For example, don't give the FVRCP and Rabies vaccine on the same day...do one and wait a while to do the other. This way if there is a reaction, you know what it is to.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Trust me - nobody was playing with the kitten, we were trying to keep him calm, and he was just psycho. Even when confined, he was attacking everything he could find from lint balls to bits of paper to his own tail.

We don't have rabies in Australia (therefore no vaccination), so they only get one vaccination anyway.