Kitten Seems Healthy, But Has Wet Poops

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope I posted this in the right place!

After my previous cat passed (she's my avatar, I can't bring myself to change it quite yet) the adoption organisation told me to come see cats, because it helps and I was deeply heartbroken and devastated and needed it, and we ended up taking home a kitten and adopting him a few weeks later. He was completely fine, then seemingly sick (refusal to eat for a few days), then completely fine again, even according to the vet. Now though, he has super wet poops. I don't get it, and I think it may be his food?

I'm planning on taking him to the vet again, but I don't have the adoption papers with me because I left them with the person overseeing the adoption (who is wonderful btw) and I can only get them again next weekend. It's Monday and I'd like to see the vet before then, which I'm not sure will help me much without the dang papers.

If anyone has any advice I would seriously appreciate it! He seems completely healthy, we've switched his food around a few times to see if it helps but nothing yet. He is currently eating mainly Instinct kitten food, and some Canidae duck paté. He doesn't like dry food, although he'll sometimes go for some adult blue buffalo dry food for some reason.

What do you suggest I switch in his diet? I can't handle the poops anymore (they're so smelly), and I don't think he enjoys them much either... He has had a deworming and his first two vaccines, if that information helps in any way.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's not clear why you would need the adoption papers for a vet visit. Is it because the organization you got him from is covering or subsidizing the initial vet costs? If not, you shouldn't need to show them to the vet.

Soft stools or diarrhea can be caused by a number of things other than food, though switching brands could be a factor. It's advisable to have a fecal test done to determine whether he has coccidia, giardia, or the like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not clear why you would need the adoption papers for a vet visit. Is it because the organization you got him from is covering or subsidizing the initial vet costs? If not, you shouldn't need to show them to the vet.

Soft stools or diarrhea can be caused by a number of things other than food, though switching brands could be a factor. It's advisable to have a fecal test done to determine whether he has coccidia, giardia, or the like.
This vet specifically wants papers, I'm not sure why. Maybe because he wants to see what treatment he's had? I'm really not sure. I'll call tomorrow to ask if he needs the papers to get a fecal test done, I'll try to get one on wednesday. Thanks for the help, I hadn't even thought of doing that.

fruit_ball

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm having similar eating/wet poop issues with my 7mo kitten. I found your post by google cause I'm currently suspecting that instinct kitten wet food is what's causing it.
My cat did end up at the vet after not eating for a couple days and nothing was found in neither blood or stool tests. Out of the food she normally eats the vet suggested sticking with core wellness kitten pate for now because it is easier for her to digest. It's been a few days of eating/pooping normally and I thought I'd introduce instinct again for a little variety but she had wet poop again soon after. I'm not sure if it's a bad batch or her stomach is still to sensitive but I'd suggest switching food.

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm having similar eating/wet poop issues with my 7mo kitten. I found your post by google cause I'm currently suspecting that instinct kitten wet food is what's causing it.
My cat did end up at the vet after not eating for a couple days and nothing was found in neither blood or stool tests. Out of the food she normally eats the vet suggested sticking with core wellness kitten pate for now because it is easier for her to digest. It's been a few days of eating/pooping normally and I thought I'd introduce instinct again for a little variety but she had wet poop again soon after. I'm not sure if it's a bad batch or her stomach is still to sensitive but I'd suggest switching food.
I'm getting a fecal test done soon, but I'll definitely switch to that food if it helped your cat! It never hurts to get a kitten tested or to switch their food around. Thanks for the advice :)
And to you too abyeb abyeb , I'm definitely taking him in for a test

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he started having soft poops and you kept switching food, then he'll keep having the soft poop. You have to change the food gradually and slowly or he might not be able to digest properly. Also, in the meantime, how are you treating the soft poop? You shouldn't be giving him regular food as it irritates his intestines more, you need to feed him a bland diet for a few days until poops becomes normal and/or tests are done!

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he started having soft poops and you kept switching food, then he'll keep having the soft poop. You have to change the food gradually and slowly or he might not be able to digest properly. Also, in the meantime, how are you treating the soft poop? You shouldn't be giving him regular food as it irritates his intestines more, you need to feed him a bland diet for a few days until poops becomes normal and/or tests are done!
Fecal test done, came back negative. I didn't change his diet, but he doesn't like eating the same thing everyday so I make sure that he has 2-3 options. The vets haven't mentioned anything about his diet but I'm up for switching to something more bland to see if it helps. If you have any recommendations do tell me, I'd appreciate it.

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fecal test done, came back negative. I didn't change his diet, but he doesn't like eating the same thing everyday so I make sure that he has 2-3 options. The vets haven't mentioned anything about his diet but I'm up for switching to something more bland to see if it helps. If you have any recommendations do tell me, I'd appreciate it.
Sorry I was away and just came back home. The 2-3 options, are they same brand just different flavors? Is he still having runny poop or was that solved? When my youngest had runny poop I gave her boiled chicken, white rice and a bit of pumpkin puree for a few days, mixed with probiotics and a bit of yogurt. It did wonders, but check with vet first!

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I was away and just came back home. The 2-3 options, are they same brand just different flavors? Is he still having runny poop or was that solved? When my youngest had runny poop I gave her boiled chicken, white rice and a bit of pumpkin puree for a few days, mixed with probiotics and a bit of yogurt. It did wonders, but check with vet first!
His dry food is one brand and the wet food another, we learned that the wet food is probably the cause for his poops, although he was on flagyl for a week which helped to make them more normal.

Any idea of what to give him? We currently give him the Instinct kitten food, although it obviously doesn't work for him and I want to switch him to something else. Any help is much appreciated!!!

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His dry food is one brand and the wet food another, we learned that the wet food is probably the cause for his poops, although he was on flagyl for a week which helped to make them more normal.

Any idea of what to give him? We currently give him the Instinct kitten food, although it obviously doesn't work for him and I want to switch him to something else. Any help is much appreciated!!!
Hi Sorry I just saw your reply! How is your kitty going? Has ha recovered?

LoserAndTheCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Sorry I just saw your reply! How is your kitty going? Has ha recovered?
We've stopped giving him wet food entirely and it has helped a lot! No more flatulence, his poops are becoming more normal slowly. We make sure he has fresh water to balance out that dryness and it's working much better. Even he seems happier so if it works, it works!