kitten refusing to use a litter tray.

chrispywhispy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I've got a 13 week old kitten that seems to hate the litter tray I've got. Ever sence I get her I've trird litter training her by putting her in the box after every meal and nap she has but she just jumps back out and runs off.
Her behavior is driving me crazy as I've just re-carpeted my whole house and she pees and poos everywhere, I don't get stressed over it as I know that can make the problem worse but it seems to be stressing my pregnant cat out as she's a bit of a neat freak.
I honestly need some advice on what to do as over the past two months of having her, she still hasn't got the idea of what to do and keeps running off to do her business behind the sofas or under the ferrets hutchand I'm running out of ideas.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1.  You have to isolate her in one room with the litter tray, starting immediately and lasting until whenever she is going consistently inside the tray.  I would not let her out until she is going in the tray 100% of the time.  

2. You have another cat.  Are the two of them together sharing only one litter tray? If so, this is very likely contributing to the problem.  For two unrelated cats, 3 litter trays is the absolute minimum I'd have to start.  I would probably start with 4 and hope to be able to reduce that amount.  

3. Has she ever used the litter tray? Even once?

4.  Is the litter scented? Many cats hate scented litter and will not use it.  Even if not scented, she may not like the litter.  Be very open to trying different kinds.  Since your resident cat likes the current litter fine, I'd do this in the additional litter trays that you purchase.

5.  How big is the litter tray? At her age, she actually may be intimidated by a tray that is too big.  However, many cats also hate trays that are too small.  You may have to experiment with sizes.

6. How often do you scoop? Some cats are totally neat freaks and will not use a litter tray with ANYTHING in it.  On the other hand, at her age, you can also scoop too much- kittens that age need a hint about where to go a lot of the time.

This should do to start.  Based on your answers I may have more suggestions or different ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrispywhispy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 5 litter trays dotted around the house that all 3 cats can get to but the kitten has never used one, she's checked them out and ran though them.
I use a unscented biodegradable litter in most boxed and non clumping litter in others.
I scoop them out every day or every other day depending on how used they are besides the one my pregnant girl uses which is cleaned and changed everyday.
I have a few high walled boxes and smaller walled ones.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with confining her to one space till you can get this sorted out.  Have you considered a product like the Kitten Attract litter?  From what I've heard others say; you don't necessarily need to fill the box with it; just put some in the top.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chrispywhispy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've put her in the kitchen for now and I haven't heard of kitten attract litter until now but I'll definitely get some to try.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great article writen by a vet on litter box issues (http://catinfo.org/?link=litterbox). I would also second the idea to get cat attract it comes in a litter version or you can by the additive to put in any litter.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so in addition to placing her in the tray, you should also show her how to dig in it, sing your fingers and her paws. Cat attract is a good idea.  If she eliminates inappropriately in the kitchen while she's in there, but it in the box so she can smell it there.  

Good luck.  I know this is a frustrating problem.