Kitten Refuses To Drink Water

honestymum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 month old kitty named Honesty she refuses to drink water , anybody ever experience this ? How can I get my honesty to drink water ?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't seen my kitten drink one sip of water out of her bowl since I brought her home February 3rd. She eats and all wet diet with water added to that, and zero dry food. She gets all the water she needs.

I do clean and refill her water bowl with bottled water every day though. She must dip her paws into it after she uses the litter box because there are always one or two little particles of dissolved clay. :biggrin:

If your kitten isn't eating kibble, she doesn't need to drink out of her bowl. If you are giving her dry food, then you might try a water fountain to entice her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

honestymum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I haven't seen my kitten drink one sip of water out of her bowl since I brought her home February 3rd. She eats and all wet diet with water added to that, and zero dry food. She gets all the water she needs.

I do clean and refill her water bowl with bottled water every day though. She must dip her paws into it after she uses the litter box because there are always one or two little particles of dissolved clay. :biggrin:

If your kitten isn't eating kibble, she doesn't need to drink out of her bowl. If you are giving her dry food, then you might try a water fountain to entice her.
thx , I'm new to this as this is my first time ever owning a cat , I just want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated from not getting enough water , I also give her fresh water daily and she just sniffs it or put a paw in it lol .

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats used to be really good drinkers until we switched to canned food. Now I almost never see them drink! I do add water to their wet food to make sure they get enough.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A fountain may entice her, although she is probably getting plenty of water from her wet food. Add a little and moosh it up thoroughly just to sure.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yep, agree with the above posters, wet food is the way to go for cats that do not drink water.

I do add extra water to my boy's wet food too and occasionally get him to drink from his water bowl which he does a few lapping up and end up with his paw in the water bowl :lol:

honestymum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats used to be really good drinkers until we switched to canned food. Now I almost never see them drink! I do add water to their wet food to make sure they get enough.
Thx , I will start doing that

honestymum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yep, agree with the above posters, wet food is the way to go for cats that do not drink water.

I do add extra water to my boy's wet food too and occasionally get him to drink from his water bowl which he does a few lapping up and end up with his paw in the water bowl :lol:
:lol::lol:

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our two year old spayed female, Sukie, whom we have had since she was eight weeks, has only been known to drink water once in her lifetime. I am a human doctor, not a vet, so I asked my vet about this. He told me that healthy cats drink very little and obtain their fluids from their wet food. I was not to worry about her not drinking, and I pass this advice on to you.

FWIW I would worry very much if your cat started to drink frequently. This is because, if the kidney function were to start to fail, then the first kidney function to fail is the ability to concentrate the urine. The only way that the cat (or human) can then maintain their internal environment will be to pass a large amount of dilute urine. The cat (or human) will then start to drink copiously in order to pass the urine and to prevent dehydration.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey

Last edited:

honestymum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our two year old spayed female, Sukie, whom we have had since she was eight weeks, has only been known to drink water once in her lifetime. I am a human doctor, not a vet, so I asked my vet about this. He told me that healthy cats drink very little and obtain their fluids from their wet food. I was not to worry about her not drinking, and I pass this advice on to you.

FWIW I would worry very much if your cat started to drink frequently. This is because, if the kidney function were to start to fail, then the first kidney function to fail is the ability to concentrate the urine. The only way that the cat (or human) can then maintain their internal environment will be to pass a large amount of dilute urine. The cat (or human) will then start to drink copiously in order to pass the urine and to prevent dehydration.
With all best wishes,
Geoffrey
Thx so much for your advice .