Kitten pulling himself up on furniture

amands89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I got my Maine Coon kitten namen Flynn two days ago. Loving it so far! And two weeks from now I'll get a second cat. Flynn is doing great, there's just one problem I'm not sure how to deal with.

Flynn uses his claws to hoist himself up on my couch and chairs. I'm not sure how to get him to stop. On the internet no one is really clear on what to do, so I'd really appriciate some advice.

Thanks in advance!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi Amands89, welcome to TCS :wavey:

Your kitten is still young though you did not mention how old he is and I presume that he is very young and small.

So for a young and small kitten, it's pretty hard for him to leap up to higher ground in one leap and therefore he has to use his claws to help himself up.

You can place something lower than the couch and chairs so that he can use it as a step to go up instead of clawing his way up. Or place a cat tree next to the couch so that he can use the cat tree to climb up.

You can also help him up when you see that he wants to go up. Sooner or later, he'll be up in all places as he grows bigger and have more strength to leap.

Do introduce yourself and your kitten to the community in 'New Cats on the Block' under the General Forums. Also do check out the other interesting and important articles and informative threads.

Please post photos of your kitty for us to see ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amands89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi TabbyTom!

Thanks! I'll go introduce myself right away :) thanks for the advice. Yes, Flynn is only 3 months old. The thing is, he can jump on the couch in one try. If he uses the front of the couch. But he often feelst te need to climb up on the back. I did place a scratch pole there and he uses it for playing but not as a tool te help himself up. He also runs around scratching the chairs. I keep putting him back on the grond when he does that, but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about teaching him?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
You can place a stool or a small table at the back so that he cannot jump and climb up from the back. The only way for him is to jump onto the small table or stool to get higher.

But he is just a kitten now and he's playful. Get a teaser and distract him and play with him whenever you see him climbing or scratching the chairs and say with a firm voice and say 'NO' and use the toy to distract him.

After some time, he'll find something else to do. They have many play patterns while growing up. Also some cats they prefer certain type of materials for scratching. But be prepared for some damaged furniture. :lol3: