Kitten prefers clay litter

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would like to switch over completely to Blue Buffalo litter but my kitten prefers clay. Has anyone ever had a cat that didn't like natural?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats both seem to prefer the clay litter we use now. For quite a while we went through all the different kinds of litter you can get, and in the end clay works out best for us. They didn't mind the wheat one mixed in with a little clay. Sometimes the corn ones would be too light and they didn't seem to like the texture of if. They both like to dig in something a bit heavier.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would like to switch over completely to Blue Buffalo litter but my kitten prefers clay. Has anyone ever had a cat that didn't like natural?
Many cats have strong litter preferences.  There could be a variety of reasons why you might want your cat to switch, but do note that clay is just as natural as ground walnuts (blue Buffalo), and clay is actually in its final state as it doesn't decompose into anything else, its harvested from the earth and returns there again.

Mind you, people often object to the dust and with good reason, so you might look at other non-clay litters like the crystals, which are also natural, dust free, as well as the corn based and wheat based litters.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a gradual transition over a period of weeks to a month or more to see if he'll do better with it that way?  Litter is like dry food.  If you transition too quickly, there could be problems.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I transitioned from clay to pine litter in the last year. It works so much better for my de-clawed rescue cat. He and my girl cat seem fine with the switch. But several signs are making me think my other male cat doesn't like the pine. But then again, he may just be acting out because he is afraid of the rescue cat. Some cats will simply prefer the type they've always used. Mine hate covered boxes.   

It works best to layer the new litter on bottom with the old litter on top for a few weeks. Then layer less of the old and more of the new for another few weeks. Then use only the new litter. If you have multiple boxes, just start with one box and then repeat the transition the next box.