Kitten pooping outside of litter box

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you any advice on what to try or what could be causing this?
You said she used to poop normal, inside the box when you forst got her..how many days/werks after did she start going outside? When she goes outside, is it at least always close to the litterbox?
When she was going normally inside the litterbox, was there less litter in the box? Maybe when you changed the litter, you also started adding more litter to the box, and she might prefer less since she poops on the floor? (I know usually cats love a lot of litter in the box so they can really dig a hole before going xD but all cats are unique and have their own preferences, you just have to find out what suits yours:hangin::heartshape:
The vet just told me what you can find on the internet, its either stress, placement of box, or too dirty. And i'm not very sure how many days it took for her to start pooping outside the box, but I know she started after I took away her original litterbox because she was getting to big for it. I believe my dad threw it away so eueueuuueue. And yes its always right next to the box. If I put something next to the box like a pee pad or a paper towel she'll just go around wherever is closest to the box. I've tried putting less litter and more litter and its the same. I think it might be territorial issues because she keeps scratching the floor around the box like crazy. If it is territory issues idk what to do abt it. 😣

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did the vet give you any advice on what to try or what could be causing this?
You said she used to poop normal, inside the box when you forst got her..how many days/werks after did she start going outside? When she goes outside, is it at least always close to the litterbox?
When she was going normally inside the litterbox, was there less litter in the box? Maybe when you changed the litter, you also started adding more litter to the box, and she might prefer less since she poops on the floor? (I know usually cats love a lot of litter in the box so they can really dig a hole before going xD but all cats are unique and have their own preferences, you just have to find out what suits yours:hangin::heartshape:
Also, the cat in your pfp is very cute :) I love brown tabbies

Binxie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried unscented litter or something other than litter such as newspaper torn into thin strips? One of the female cats I had years ago would not pee in any litter, she would poop in it but not pee, nothing physically wrong with her, but she would pee on a towel, so for 18 years I had stacks of what I referred to as pee pee towels :D that I would put in the litter pan, one or two at a time and change them daily, it was like changing and washing diapers but that was her rule for using the box, it had to have a towel in it.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
took away her original litterbox because she was getting to big for it.
I'm sure you already thought of this, but is the new litterbox same type as the old one? (Closed, open, etc...)...
Do you think placing 2 litterboxes next to each other would help? Since she always diggs next to the litterbox? Idk...I'm trying to think of ideas I would try myself.. Maybe try leaving one of the litterboxes bare/without litterbox, or maybe add just a tiny bit so she associates it with the litterbox - since she goes on the tiles on the floor..she might like the box bare?..

Also, the cat in your pfp is very cute :) I love brown tabbies
Thank you!:blush: Her name is Baby, she's 10 month old and has been with is for the past 1,5 months :cloud9: she's been a bit of a challenge with her food fussiness and waking me up at night etc, but we love her xD

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried unscented litter or something other than litter such as newspaper torn into thin strips? One of the female cats I had years ago would not pee in any litter, she would poop in it but not pee, nothing physically wrong with her, but she would pee on a towel, so for 18 years I had stacks of what I referred to as pee pee towels :D that I would put in the litter pan, one or two at a time and change them daily, it was like changing and washing diapers but that was her rule for using the box, it had to have a towel in it.
Ahhh that's smart, I would much rather prefer my cat peeing outside rather than pooping outside. But I believe I have some paper pellets from when I first got her, her breeder told us she may need them because thats what they trained her with so we bought some. But she just took to the regular clumping litter and used the pellets as a bed... lmao. And yes we currently use unscented litter :) I can't stand the scent of it mixed with waste, or just the smell of it either. I don't think the cats like it either. I can try actual towels next to the litter box instead of paper ones and see if she'll poop on that.
Also- nice pfp LMAO

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you already thought of this, but is the new litterbox same type as the old one? (Closed, open, etc...)...
Do you think placing 2 litterboxes next to each other would help? Since she always diggs next to the litterbox? Idk...I'm trying to think of ideas I would try myself.. Maybe try leaving one of the litterboxes bare/without litterbox, or maybe add just a tiny bit so she associates it with the litterbox - since she goes on the tiles on the floor..she might like the box bare?..

Thank you!:blush: Her name is Baby, she's 10 month old and has been with is for the past 1,5 months :cloud9: she's been a bit of a challenge with her food fussiness and waking me up at night etc, but we love her xD
The new litterbox is relatively the same, its just a bit higher than the first one since shes grown. Also, i've tried placing the litterbox where she poops but will continue to go next to it anyways. I can try the no litter thing and see if that works, but most of the time she just lays in it before I can put in a fresh thing of litter after fully cleaning it. Or if theres no waste in it but theres litter, she just lays in it like its a bed. Thank you :))

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think a second litter box next to the first might actually be best.

So not moving the first litter at all, but adding a second box next to the first is what we are all suggesting.

If you have the paper pellets left, you can put that in one box and leave the regular litter in the current box.

Instead of buying a whole new litter, you can use the cardboard that comes on a case of wet cat food, put a plastic bag around it and then just put the litter inside.

See if the above solves the problem. She might still like to poo in the paper ones.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is so sweet lol, what we do for our furry felines xD

Worth giving a try :) with the paper or shredder newspaper, I'd definitely give ot a go

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think a second litter box next to the first might actually be best.

So not moving the first litter at all, but adding a second box next to the first is what we are all suggesting.

If you have the paper pellets left, you can put that in one box and leave the regular litter in the current box.

Instead of buying a whole new litter, you can use the cardboard that comes on a case of wet cat food, put a plastic bag around it and then just put the litter inside.

See if the above solves the problem. She might still like to poo in the paper ones.
Ohhhh, I have tried this before though. No workies :bawling:

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, how long has this been going on? Maybe she just needs more time to adjust?..since she's new to the household (if i understood correctly) and has to "spread her scent " around a bit? Both of ypur cats are spayed probably already?

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Out of curiosity, how long has this been going on? Maybe she just needs more time to adjust?..since she's new to the household (if i understood correctly) and has to "spread her scent " around a bit? Both of ypur cats are spayed probably already?
well she got here on August 24th 2022, and started pooping sometime in late September. Both of them are spayed

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something else came to mind - did you change their diet by any chance?

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, when she first got here I slowly switched her from the food she normally ate. I kept giving her the same wet food. She used the box a little bit before going outside and her poops looked normal. But then maybe a week after she started going outside I noticed the wet food gave her RLLY bad poops. So I stopped giving it to her. I didn't want her to experience having diarrhea everyday, and also it was not very fun to clean up off the floor.
I just put her back on wet food so hopefully it digests well and doesn't give her poop issues again. She drinks enough water and she isn't constipated so i'm not too worried if she cant eat wet food.
Do you think the transition in food upset her?

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think the transition in food upset her?
I honestly haven't a clue..
I'm just analysing and trying to think of anything I would do if this was happening to me.

But in any case, it's good you eliminated the food that was causing her diarrhea..

I just put her back on wet food so hopefully it digests well and doesn't give her poop issues again. She drinks enough water and she isn't constipated so i'm not too worried if she cant eat wet food.
This part here confised me a bit, though I think theres a typo and you wanted to say you put her back on dry food?
If her poops are back to normal again (no diarrhea/ constipation) that sounds ok..
If you're positive she isn't constipated- sometimes it's hard to tell by the looks of it.

If she was willing to eat wet food before, I would try giving her some, slowly, maybe a small spoon forst day, 2 spoons second day, etc. And keep an eye on the poops.
I would look at the ingredients from the wet food you previously gave her that caused her diarrhea- it could be she's intolerant to one of the ingredients or she just transitioned too quickly.
I'd compare the lables from dry and wet food you gave her (the diarrhea causing one) and see if there's any type of meat in the wet food that isn't in the dry.
So for example if the dry food contains only chicken or turkey I would look for wet food that contains only that type of meat.
One of my sweethearts💔💔💔 had an intolerance to fish...we intentionally put him on a hypoallergenic diet (because he was scratching so much) dry food called Farmina VetLife Hypoallergenic that had hydrolyzed fish protein. It didn't matter how slowly we transitioned him, as soon as his bowl got to about 50% old food 50% hypoallergenic he started getting extremely runny diarrhea :(...

Anyway, I think I steered away a bit.. I wanted to say maybe her poops aren't as soft and maybe give her some discomfort?..
If a cat is willing to eat wet food, I'd definitely advise you to try and find some wet food she is going to enjoy + it won't mess with her poops. This way she will definitely get more water in her system. And might even solve the pooping outside of the box

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I honestly haven't a clue..
I'm just analysing and trying to think of anything I would do if this was happening to me.

But in any case, it's good you eliminated the food that was causing her diarrhea..

This part here confised me a bit, though I think theres a typo and you wanted to say you put her back on dry food?
If her poops are back to normal again (no diarrhea/ constipation) that sounds ok..
If you're positive she isn't constipated- sometimes it's hard to tell by the looks of it.

If she was willing to eat wet food before, I would try giving her some, slowly, maybe a small spoon forst day, 2 spoons second day, etc. And keep an eye on the poops.
I would look at the ingredients from the wet food you previously gave her that caused her diarrhea- it could be she's intolerant to one of the ingredients or she just transitioned too quickly.
I'd compare the lables from dry and wet food you gave her (the diarrhea causing one) and see if there's any type of meat in the wet food that isn't in the dry.
So for example if the dry food contains only chicken or turkey I would look for wet food that contains only that type of meat.
One of my sweethearts💔💔💔 had an intolerance to fish...we intentionally put him on a hypoallergenic diet (because he was scratching so much) dry food called Farmina VetLife Hypoallergenic that had hydrolyzed fish protein. It didn't matter how slowly we transitioned him, as soon as his bowl got to about 50% old food 50% hypoallergenic he started getting extremely runny diarrhea :(...

Anyway, I think I steered away a bit.. I wanted to say maybe her poops aren't as soft and maybe give her some discomfort?..
If a cat is willing to eat wet food, I'd definitely advise you to try and find some wet food she is going to enjoy + it won't mess with her poops. This way she will definitely get more water in her system. And might even solve the pooping outside of the box
Ahh sorry, I'm very sleep deprived lol. What I meant is that she ate the same wet food her whole life until it started giving her bad poop. I believe it was made out of tuna and chicken. I give her a salmon recipe dry food. But I haven't thought of the intolerance thing...
Her poops looked normal and soft without wet food. But I just tried a new brand with new ingredient :) So I will see how it goes, im incorporating a bit less than a tablespoon into her dry food now. But I will definitely check the ingredients to make sure she doesn't have any type of intolerance. Thank you :)