Kitten pooping outside of litter box

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!! Recently my kitten (six months) has started pooping outside the litter box but peeing inside. We have three boxes and one older cat in the house. This is not an occasional thing and happens daily. We tried switching out litters to the one we used when we first brought her home (she wouldn't poop on the floor then) and it didn't work. We tried the vet and they said everything was alright. We also tried scooping twice a day (once in morning once in evening) and nothing is working. I really need help or solutions soon because my dad is starting to get angry with me. I'm trying to be patient but it really is frustrating.

I can't be annoyed with her forever though, she's adorable and that makes up for it lol

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Have you tried moving the litterboxes?

You might try temporarily containing him in a room with his things, food and water, and a couple of litterboxes with some pee pads on the floor to help with any cleanup. Of the litters you tried, did you try Kitten Attract?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
Have you tried moving the litterboxes?

You might try temporarily containing him in a room with his things, food and water, and a couple of litterboxes with some pee pads on the floor to help with any cleanup. Of the litters you tried, did you try Kitten Attract?
I really cant move the litter boxes, and i have no spare rooms :( My mom recently bought kitten attract and it didn't do anything.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, consider a trip to the vet. If she is having pain on elimination, she's going to associate that pain with the box, not her own bottom.
We did take her to the vet and they said nothing was wrong with her internally. I don't hear her crying or meowing when she goes to the box so I don't think she's sick.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What about containing her in your bedroom with a litter box for a little while?
Hi omg, its been a while. I'm trying this now :) I feel so bad because she really wants to get out the room, but she mostly poops outside the box at night so i'm keeping her in here for the night. She has her toys, litter, food, and water :) I've blocked off under my bed because if she does poop, i don't want her going there. How long should I be keeping her in here?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can also try putting a puppy pee pad outside of the litter box. Just to make clean up easier for yourself for the time being.

Marfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad the vet says nothing is wrong. Whew.

Do they each have a box? She may need her very own.

Try putting her poops in the box next time you clean up after her…maybe she’ll smell them in there and put the new ones in there too. It’s worth a try!

I hope something works soon! Hang in there.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad the vet says nothing is wrong. Whew.

Do they each have a box? She may need her very own.

Try putting her poops in the box next time you clean up after her…maybe she’ll smell them in there and put the new ones in there too. It’s worth a try!

I hope something works soon! Hang in there.
Hiii, so yes theres about three boxes, enough for them both. I even went and bought a new one so there isnt any type of scent of my other cat that might throw her off. I'm trying the last thing, and I hope it works.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also try putting a puppy pee pad outside of the litter box. Just to make clean up easier for yourself for the time being.
I'm going to try doing this when I contain her in the room again with her things. I tried this before and she just went around them. Thank you :)

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like things aren't ready yet. Have you had a chance to try a different type of litter, or maybe even one that's called Kitten Attract?
Yes i've tried multiple litters, including kittens attract. And I think that might be the source of the problem. She used to poop in the box just fine when she first got here, but then after I changed the litter she stopped pooping in the box. I think i've might of used at least three or four different types of litters, and bought many new types of boxes. Thank you though :)

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My bad for not responding everyone, i've been busy with school and sleep. Thank you for the new suggestions, about when I was keeping her in my room, I ended up only leaving her in here for about a night, I had school and she is still very playful, she's barely even one. And she does NOT like being confined, ever since she first got here just wanted to explore the whole house lol. I'm trying to keep her in here again since I have a day off and the weekend.
Thank you again for the help, this is very frustrating for me.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you recall what that initial litter brand was? Can you try just sand?
I know exactly what the first brand is, and I use it as of now. I can ask my mom if I can try regular sand. Can I buy just any type of sand and use it?

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that sandbox sand works, something like this which is less dusty;
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ14RF6H/?tag=thecatsite

In case your mom has visions of sand being tracked everywhere, try putting the litterbox on top of a large towel so that any sand that might stick to her feet comes off on the towel :)
Oooh alright, thank you :) Tracking is not a problem, I have this mat that has like two layers and it traps litter inside. I'll buy the sand if theres no luck getting her to poop in the litterbox tonight. She usually goes at night so it'll be a surprise when I wake up. Lol.

yoyleflavored

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sigh. I stayed awake a little and I caught her. I put her poops in the box and put her in the box for her to continue pooping. Ugh... I don't understand 😭 She was scratching the floor around the box like crazy. I put her in the box like four more times after. I feel like crying a lot lol I just wish she would be normal and use the box like she used to.

Valerian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh. I stayed awake a little and I caught her. I put her poops in the box and put her in the box for her to continue pooping. Ugh... I don't understand 😭 She was scratching the floor around the box like crazy. I put her in the box like four more times after. I feel like crying a lot lol I just wish she would be normal and use the box like she used to.
Did the vet give you any advice on what to try or what could be causing this?
You said she used to poop normal, inside the box when you forst got her..how many days/werks after did she start going outside? When she goes outside, is it at least always close to the litterbox?
When she was going normally inside the litterbox, was there less litter in the box? Maybe when you changed the litter, you also started adding more litter to the box, and she might prefer less since she poops on the floor? (I know usually cats love a lot of litter in the box so they can really dig a hole before going xD but all cats are unique and have their own preferences, you just have to find out what suits yours:hangin::heartshape: