Kitten Pooping on Bed

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finn is 13 weeks old. He's very happy and still staying in my son's room overnight with him because I just don't trust Lulu (one year old cat) yet. At about 9:30 Finn goes up to the room because the kids don't watch the two cats as well as I do. We've had him 3 or 4 weeks and for the third time last night he pooped on the extra bed in the room. Every other time he has gone since he's been here he goes in the litter box.

I'm guessing it's because he doesn't like being left alone. What do you think? Also, is there a way I can stop it? I took the comforter off because the other two times he did it, it was on the comforter. Last night he pooped on the sheets. He's going to have to be left alone sometimes because we aren't always here.
Thanks for any insight.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he does it again, put the poop in the litter box and let him see it there. Maybe even gently use his paw to cover it. I'm sure he knows where it belongs, but might need a little reminder.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
At about 9:30 Finn goes up to the room because the kids don't watch the two cats as well as I do. We've had him 3 or 4 weeks and for the third time last night he pooped on the extra bed in the room. Every other time he has gone since he's been here he goes in the litter box...I'm guessing it's because he doesn't like being left alone.
Does this mean he is not intended to go up to the room when he does? If no one is up there with him, do you have any idea why he would go there, if it means he is alone? Is there a litter box in that room? I guess more details about this would be helpful!

He is pretty young, so multiple litter boxes are absolutely necessary - especially one in that room, if there is not already one in there. You can also try to place a plastic tarp, or even a shower curtain, over the bed to try to discourage him from using the bed. If the plastic is newly bought, just air it out first as they tend to smell.

And, given his age, he probably should be confined to a smaller area when no one is home - sort of a safe zone for him, if you will.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does this mean he is not intended to go up to the room when he does? If no one is up there with him, do you have any idea why he would go there, if it means he is alone? Is there a litter box in that room? I guess more details about this would be helpful!

He is pretty young, so multiple litter boxes are absolutely necessary - especially one in that room, if there is not already one in there. You can also try to place a plastic tarp, or even a shower curtain, over the bed to try to discourage him from using the bed. If the plastic is newly bought, just air it out first as they tend to smell.

And, given his age, he probably should be confined to a smaller area when no one is home - sort of a safe zone for him, if you will.
This is his safe zone. His food and litter box are in there. I go to bed so I put him in his room.My son comes up later and sleeps with him. My one year old cat is a bit rough. She gets overly excited and he squeals. He’s only 3.9 lbs. ❤ so we don’t leave them fully alone yet.