Kitten,poop, Diarrhea, Blood, Outside Of Litter Tray! Help!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
OK.. our posts crossed. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Update
Snowy (my kitten) is still eating well etc and her energy levels have risen much more than before.
But she still sleeps a lot during the day.. she does play (mostly during the night / early early morning - running around, plays with string when i play with her) & her poop went back to normal approx 2 days ago .. BUT...
should i be worried about her sleeping all the time... from what i understand kittens sleep A LOT and she does... she is nearly 7 months old and looks well

Should i be worried?
She is on James dry kitten food and drinks water all the time.. i will be getting her a fountain soon though too

I will phone the vets now too & ask their opinion
I dont want to take her to the vet if shes fine or will continue to imporve because she gets really stressed and scared there and its far away.

Thanks

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats/kittens DO sleep a lot, some up to 18 hours a day, and do most of their activities during the nighttime, or at sunrise, when their natural hunting instinct kicks in. But for a kitten, I would think she'd play some during the day too. When you try to engage her in play, does she play during the daytime?

Did you discuss this with the Vet? You said you were going to call, so just wonder what they said.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats/kittens DO sleep a lot, some up to 18 hours a day, and do most of their activities during the nighttime, or at sunrise, when their natural hunting instinct kicks in. But for a kitten, I would think she'd play some during the day too. When you try to engage her in play, does she play during the daytime?

Did you discuss this with the Vet? You said you were going to call, so just wonder what they said.
I'd say she sleeps around about that long. When I do try to engage with her during the day she does play and run around with me.
The nurse at the vets said that kittens sleep a lot and said to continue monitoring her to see how she is. I explained how she eats a lot during the night so maybe that's why she doesn't eat much during the day... because she eats at night and is awake at night and during the day...

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise

She does play during the night and at sunrise!
She seems fine but I guess the main reason I'm worrying is because she misses her lunch and sometimes even dinner and eats throughout the night, morning and late evening instead.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I NEED some ADVICE PLEASE!!!

Snowy has (since yesterday) been pooping outside of her litter box (upstairs on the carpet etc) AND her POOP has Bright Red BLOOD specks / drops in it !!!!

This has been happening for a while and it stopped but now it's back again!
What should I do?

I don't have the money to take her to the vet where they will charge for the consultation and treatment right now!!!

What can I do???

Help!
She is still eating and everything... she doesn't eat much during the day mainly because I assume she eats at night - she is on James Wellbeloved dry kitten food.
Nothing has changed since the last time her POOP was wet / sloppy and had blood...
Any ideas to what is causing this!???

Thanks

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
my 7 month old kitten has started getting dihorrea wirh bright red blood mixed into it again since yesterday (16 May 2018 ).

When I showed the vet the images from before he said to wait until her worming treatment he just put on her took effect ... for whatever reason it did stop but now it's back again!

Nothing has changed related to her food or anything else!

She's driving me crazy!
She's pooping on the carpet and upstairs .
... everywhere !!!

Please help me!
What should I do?

I don't have the money right now to go to the vet. I've been like 4 or 5 times in the last few months and I thought everything would finally be okay because the bloody dihorrea went but it's back again !!!!

Help !!!

I've attached an image of the most recent poop.

Attachments

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has he treated the cat for Giardia and or coccidia? In my experience those are often the two primary culprits. Or at least what to treat for first. My vet will normally treat a new cat of mine for those without even testing if they have diarrhea and blood in the stool. He treats for parasites, and also treats for Giardia and coccidia. If that does not fix the problem the we will look at other things. If your vet will treat for these it may help. And if he will treat without testing first, as my vet does, it will save you quite a bit. the meds them self are not that expensive.
Best of luck, and do keep us updated.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! See if you can keep her in a separate room, put some puppy pee training pads down and call your vet again - maybe they can work out something for you financially. Can you speak with a different vet, just to find out what you can do?

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life
That's the only one in my area that I can comfortably travel to and it's probably the only proper one. I tried a few others in the past with previous cats and they were much more expensive.
I'll try asking him if he can just treat her for cocodia without testing....
Thanks!

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Has he treated the cat for Giardia and or coccidia? In my experience those are often the two primary culprits. Or at least what to treat for first. My vet will normally treat a new cat of mine for those without even testing if they have diarrhea and blood in the stool. He treats for parasites, and also treats for Giardia and coccidia. If that does not fix the problem the we will look at other things. If your vet will treat for these it may help. And if he will treat without testing first, as my vet does, it will save you quite a bit. the meds them self are not that expensive.
Best of luck, and do keep us updated.
So I would only have to pay for the consultation and medication right?
That is still expensive for me :-(
I'll ask him what I can do and work something out... everyone has been so supportive through this I just don't want them to think that I am a bad owner.

She's obviously I'll and it may be due to the fact that a while ago when I changed her foods I did it way too fast... and now all her insides will probably be permanently sensitive and ruined because of me!!!

I know... I know... I'm a horrible owner. I 100% will not be getting another cat ever! But this one... I love her a lot and I want her to be happy and safe... but the vet keeps saying that he can only diagnose me when I pay and book a consultation ... etc

Can I do anything in the meantime ?

I mean I will continue monitoring her ... but I don't think I'll be able to take her to the vets yet because of work schedules etc.

Thank you so much!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are not a horrible person, horrible owner or horrible anything. I know how horrible you feel. You are responsible for a tiny little life, in everyway and everything, and you feel like you've destroyed it.

You haven't.

There is no way to know what is going on until a vet sees her and figures out what is going on. I totally understand the money problems, talk to friends and family. Maybe someone can help you. Maybe your vet will work with you. If your credit is good, maybe you can get a CareCredit card or look at other options in that relam. Contact a local rescue, maybe they know a clinic that could help. Focus on what needs to be done next to get her treatment she needs.

Chances are this was not caused by the food change. Rapid change can cause upset tummies but they don't usually cause this level of reaction. When they do, it is usually because there was an underlaying problem. It likely would have come up at some point. Duckpond has good directions to go so ask about that. It could also be a really bad worm infestation and a second dewormer is needed. A vet really is the one to ask but don't think you caused this, please.

For now, focus on helping her. You got this. You can do it but she needs you to stop blaming yourself. Cats can sense our emotions and you beating yourself up is probably messing with your emotions.

Step 1: Figure out the vet angle.
Step 2: Keep her hydrated. Wet food mixed with a teaspoon of pumpkin puree (unseasoned just water and pumpkin not pie filling) might help firm things up a little. You can also do a day or two of plain boiled chicken mixed with a little plain white rice. Homemade, I don't trust stores or outside places to not add oils, vinegar or other seasoning to even their "plain". Some people use that to help with cats with an upset stomach.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely are not a bad cat parent, you are trying to figure out the problem, and fix it.

Changing foods too fast, or too often can cause upset stomach in SOME cats, Sometimes. It will not mess them up permanently. And it does not bother all cats. I have 4 and i could feed them a different wet, or dry food every day for every meal, and they would not get an upset stomach, unless there was an ingredient in the food that bothers them. I do have one that if he gets much peas or potatoes will have a bit of upset. I change wet foods a lot, no problems. Use to change dry a lot, no problem. It just all depends on the cat.

My vet will let me bring in a cat with those symptoms, i do have to take it in so he can look at it. He will not make me pay for test for parasites, Giardia, or coccidia, as often they are not accurate anyway. He will treat for these things and let me know if the problem gets worse, or not better then we may need to do test. So far treating for these 3 things has always worked. I have never had to have further testing. Now i cant say your vet will be the same, or that your results will be the same, but i would think its worth a try. If your vet does not understand that not everyone can pay for a lot of tests, or he is unwilling to help then i suggest you maybe try to find a different vet. Any vet will want to see the cats before prescribing anything, they must, but some vets are easier to work with than others.

If the cats have something like this, they will not get better without medications, unfortunately.

Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
You definitely are not a bad cat parent, you are trying to figure out the problem, and fix it.

Changing foods too fast, or too often can cause upset stomach in SOME cats, Sometimes. It will not mess them up permanently. And it does not bother all cats. I have 4 and i could feed them a different wet, or dry food every day for every meal, and they would not get an upset stomach, unless there was an ingredient in the food that bothers them. I do have one that if he gets much peas or potatoes will have a bit of upset. I change wet foods a lot, no problems. Use to change dry a lot, no problem. It just all depends on the cat.

My vet will let me bring in a cat with those symptoms, i do have to take it in so he can look at it. He will not make me pay for test for parasites, Giardia, or coccidia, as often they are not accurate anyway. He will treat for these things and let me know if the problem gets worse, or not better then we may need to do test. So far treating for these 3 things has always worked. I have never had to have further testing. Now i cant say your vet will be the same, or that your results will be the same, but i would think its worth a try. If your vet does not understand that not everyone can pay for a lot of tests, or he is unwilling to help then i suggest you maybe try to find a different vet. Any vet will want to see the cats before prescribing anything, they must, but some vets are easier to work with than others.

If the cats have something like this, they will not get better without medications, unfortunately.

Good luck, and do let us know how it goes.
Vet said I would have to pay £30 consultation fee and any costs for treatment on top of that.
Is there nothing else I can do!!!???
This is too much for me right now...

PDSA said that would do a consultation for approx £23 I think and treatment cost on top of that... but it's further away and I won't he able to get there :-(

Advice please!
I can't deal with this any more. :-(

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but i think the only thing that will help your kitten is a vet visit. She is obviously having some serious health issues, and she needs vet care. Many vets in our area will let us make payments. Maybe your vet will as well?

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, but i think the only thing that will help your kitten is a vet visit. She is obviously having some serious health issues, and she needs vet care. Many vets in our area will let us make payments. Maybe your vet will as well?
What do you mean payments ?
Your RIGHT... I need to get her to the vet.
I'll phone and make an appointment for her.
I'll probably take her within the next week definitely
Thank You!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you mean payments ?
Your RIGHT... I need to get her to the vet.
I'll phone and make an appointment for her.
I'll probably take her within the next week definitely
Thank You!
If the vet visit is more than we can afford at one time many vets in the US anyway will allow you to make payments, pay it off in installments over a few months.

do let us know how it goes. I will worry about your little girl. sending you guys good vibes! :vibes::kitty:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
If the vet visit is more than we can afford at one time many vets in the US anyway will allow you to make payments, pay it off in installments over a few months.

do let us know how it goes. I will worry about your little girl. sending you guys good vibes! :vibes:
Thank You !
I will keep you updated and no the vet here in the UK well mine anyway said I have to pay it altogether.
I will book her an appointment as soon as I am free to. Don't worry I'll continue monitoring her too!

Thank you and sorry for my rants !

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are always happy to help! keep us updated, and the best of luck to you guys!