Kitten,poop, Diarrhea, Blood, Outside Of Litter Tray! Help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ariel2611

Proud Mommy to Ariel and Snowy :-)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, definitely talk with the vet tomorrow -- here's hoping you're able to figure things out quickly and relatively easily. It's good that you like and trust your vet. We didn't trust the vets we took our previous cat to but switched to a cat-only vet when we adopted the two cats we have now. It makes such a huge difference!

As for our cats' diet, they eat all wet foods: canned food, freeze-dried raw food, frozen raw food, and homecooked food that I make with a supplement. That sounds much more complicated than it is but it's worked really well for them, particularly because one cat gets picky if she doesn't get variety. I'm not sure which of the canned foods we feed might be available in the UK but the brands are Wellness Core, Weruva Cats in the Kitchen, Nutro Natural Choice, Feline Natural, Koha, and Fancy Feast. The goal is to feed lots of meat protein and avoid anything carby (that includes potato, peas, chickpeas, and other starchy vegetables, plus grains and tapioca) as well as carrageenan, while also minimizing certain other ingredients I'm just comfortable with. One cat tends to vomit easily and the other seems to get mild nausea so it's taken some time to assemble the combination we have so they stay healthy and happy!

Fingers crossed that you're able to start resolving Snowy's problems tomorrow!
Thank you
I don't honestly think it's the food as she seems perfectly well and was on Felix and Felix dry for a while without any blood or dihorrea.
I know some day dry is not good etc but I feel more comfortable that both the dry and wet food I feed are known to the vets and they agree her diet plan of 1 Felix pouch a day and James dry is good

I have tried several wet food brands but her tummy just can't take certain canned and branded food
I stayed with Felix because that's what she was weaned on and she seems to like it - obviously I've stopped feeding her it for now

In regards to James dry I understand that it's a great food that many people recommend but every pet is different. I know snowy prefers the other turkey flavour to the fish and that she does like it and her coat seems good, no vomiting , no weight loss and health wise she is brilliant apart from the dihorrea issue we have now which I do think is cocodia

I've honestly stressed myself out sooooooo much buying all the 'good' canned food from great places and brands and she just does not seem to like them

Am i a bad owner for feeding her James dry & Felix wet everyone?
I honestly think she does like it and she seems perfectly well...

Thank you :-)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry, a lot of this is going to redundant because I typed it up for your other thread, which has now been combined with this thread. I simply pasted what I typed there and am placing it here :wink:.

I cannot tell you what is wrong, but do know that lots of cats and kittens have diarrhea, and there is usually a reason for it. Your Vet should do a fecal float, which shouldnt' cost all that much as it's an in=house test, to make sure she doesn't have giardia or coccidia which are frequent causes of diarrhea. Dry food usually help slow down diarrhea, mainly because it's "drying" to the system. And cheaper wet foods can cause diarrhea in sensitive tummy cats. You can try feeding your little one boiled or poached chicken with nothing added (like any type of spices or onions or garlic, that type of thing). Just water. Then you would want to add in some WHITE rice, cooked in the chicken broth. Then after everything has cooled you can mix shreds of the chicken mixed with the rice and broth and feed to your cat for no more than 5 or 6 days since it isn't nutritionally complete for a cat . This is basically just to give their intestines a break as the diarrhea normally clears up with just the chicken and rice. If it doesn't, it can mean she has a sensitivity to chicken, or something else is going on...like parasites perhaps.

As to her pooping outside the litterbox, it's possible she's getting the urge to go so fast that she can't make it to the box...hard to know. How many boxes do you have? It's also possible she's trying to tell you she doesn't feel well. This is sometimes how cats communicate with us. Not intentionally, of course, so don't be mad at her. There is definitely something going on, and her sleeping so much is the real telltale sign. Don't let the Vet pooh pooh this. She needs a thorough check-up, sorry to say.

Keep us posted after your visit tomorrow.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, a lot of this is going to redundant because I typed it up for your other thread, which has now been combined with this thread. I simply pasted what I typed there and am placing it here :wink:.

I cannot tell you what is wrong, but do know that lots of cats and kittens have diarrhea, and there is usually a reason for it. Your Vet should do a fecal float, which shouldnt' cost all that much as it's an in=house test, to make sure she doesn't have giardia or coccidia which are frequent causes of diarrhea. Dry food usually help slow down diarrhea, mainly because it's "drying" to the system. And cheaper wet foods can cause diarrhea in sensitive tummy cats. You can try feeding your little one boiled or poached chicken with nothing added (like any type of spices or onions or garlic, that type of thing). Just water. Then you would want to add in some WHITE rice, cooked in the chicken broth. Then after everything has cooled you can mix shreds of the chicken mixed with the rice and broth and feed to your cat for no more than 5 or 6 days since it isn't nutritionally complete for a cat . This is basically just to give their intestines a break as the diarrhea normally clears up with just the chicken and rice. If it doesn't, it can mean she has a sensitivity to chicken, or something else is going on...like parasites perhaps.

As to her pooping outside the litterbox, it's possible she's getting the urge to go so fast that she can't make it to the box...hard to know. How many boxes do you have? It's also possible she's trying to tell you she doesn't feel well. This is sometimes how cats communicate with us. Not intentionally, of course, so don't be mad at her. There is definitely something going on, and her sleeping so much is the real telltale sign. Don't let the Vet pooh pooh this. She needs a thorough check-up, sorry to say.

Keep us posted after your visit tomorrow.
Thank you very much for your honest reply.

We'll be going soon to the vets...

I just wanted to update everyone and say she still has dihorrea but there was no blood in it today.
She is pooping/urinating in her litter tray too :-)

What I'm going to speak to vet about:

- blood in poop (dihorrea )
- worming treatment (Coccodia- fecal float )
- eating less
- sleeping more
- pooped everywhere outside of tray (13-15th April)
- didn't eat first worming tablet in food (12th April)
- puked out second half of worming tablet (13th April)

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty much just reiterating what others have said.

I would start with the fecal float, it's cheap and an excellent place to rule out some very common reasons for blood in the stool. Also, treatment for parasites/coccidia/ghiardia is inexpensive and more times than not the culprit.

Change in food could be a factor also. Colitis is pretty common. Pumpkin is excellent for firming up the stool and budget friendly.

Best of luck at the vet and I hope you get some answers to get kitty back on track to her normal self!!

**I am not a vet and my opinions are just that, my opinions**

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm pretty much just reiterating what others have said.

I would start with the fecal float, it's cheap and an excellent place to rule out some very common reasons for blood in the stool. Also, treatment for parasites/coccidia/ghiardia is inexpensive and more times than not the culprit.

Change in food could be a factor also. Colitis is pretty common. Pumpkin is excellent for firming up the stool and budget friendly.

Best of luck at the vet and I hope you get some answers to get kitty back on track to her normal self!!

**I am not a vet and my opinions are just that, my opinions**
Oh no... now I'm confused
I'm not sure if the vet said colitis or cocodia !
What is colitis?

Thanks

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, not meaning to confuse you. First off, did the Vet do a fecal float to check for parasites and protozoa?

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
20180416_095642.png

*** She has most of the symptoms for colitis / cocodia ***

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, not meaning to confuse you. First off, did the Vet do a fecal float to check for parasites and protozoa?
Not yet vet appointment is later today
Dihorrea is still there but no blood today

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm confident you'll get some answers today. A cheap fecal float is worth it's weight in gold! Also a bland diet will help as mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens suggested will help tremendously with colitis. Keep us posted and best of luck at your vet visit!! :)

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm confident you'll get some answers today. A cheap fecal float is worth it's weight in gold! Also a bland diet will help as mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens suggested will help tremendously with colitis. Keep us posted and best of luck at your vet visit!! :)
I've tried a bland diet of plain chicken with rice before.... she does not like it sadly. :-(

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I've tried a bland diet of plain chicken with rice before.... she does not like it sadly. :-(
I did this when she first has the dihorrea with blood when I first changed her food from whiskas to the Zooplus one which she didn't like... then I changed it eventually to James

I'm so heartbroken thinking that she's going through all of this because of me! I'm so stupid! I didn't gradually introuducve the food to her and now I've damaged her insides:-(
I was trying to help her but instead hurt her instead :-(
I feel horrible !
Thanks

kmbishop111

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No no no, you're just trying to help her. No reason for you to feel any kind of bad about anything!! :hearthrob::redheartpump:
We do the best we can to keep our babies happy, healthy, and stress free. But sometimes it's a
guessing game and a lot of trial and error. Especially where food is concerned. You are trying to help
her feel better, so that makes you a wonderful mom!! :catlove:

Hugs and love to you and your sweet baby!! :catrub:

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
I've had to move the appointment to tomorrow sadly (17/04/18)
I will keep you all updated
She's eating some scrambled eggs right now... and her bloody dihorrea has stopped thankfully just dihorrea not all the time though .... much less than before probably twice a day only as normal...

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
*** UPDATE ***
Vet checked her over and said her weight of I think 2.6 kg at over 6 months of age
He said it could be worms, parasites, Guardia or just food.
He said the image I showed him is not too bad and he expected it to be runnier... he said if it comes back (as it's stopped now) that we'll run fecal samples too.

He said the James dry I was feeding is good

He said to monitor her and wait a while for her worming tablet to work and then see what happens

Her bloody poop magically went away today morning (17/04/18) and it was the correct colour and shape too!

She seems fine so I will continue to monitor her and see how she is...

Hopefully she'll be fine and back to normal soon :-)

Thank you everyone for all your advice and support :-)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What did they say about her being lethargic? Is she back to playing like a normal kitten?

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
What did they say about her being lethargic? Is she back to playing like a normal kitten?
Well, he didn't seem to notice anything, she is acting fine now and does play ... she is eating and drinking too:-)

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you think i should give her her favourite food to eat... she's currently experimenting with James Dry fish flavour but does not like it as much as the turkey flavour

Her symptoms:
- lethargy

- normal poop
- eating (eating less though and fewer times)
- no vomiting
- drinking water

What do you think is wrong ?
Will she be Okay ?
I will continue to monitor her.

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Update
It was about 8am when she started playing again today... yay!
I think she was just tired straight away in the morning when I first replied to this comment.
I think she will be Okay!
I think the tablet has began to work
Her poop is still normal colour, shape and form.
She is still eating little but I'm going to make sure it's often....

Any advice anyone?

Thanks

Ariel2611

Adult Cat
Purraise
Update
It was about 8am when she started playing again today... yay!
I think she was just tired straight away in the morning when I first replied to this comment.
I think she will be Okay!
I think the tablet has began to work
Her poop is still normal colour, shape and form.
She is still eating little but I'm going to make sure it's often....

Any advice anyone?

Thanks
She just started running around after paper balls I was throwing and playing with strings etc
She seems to have perked up...

I will keep an eye on her

Thank you!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I thought the lethargy was gone?