Kitten pooing outside of tray after stomach upset

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our poor kittens (two boys 5 months) both had a bad stomach bug at the weekend, one was worse than the other and had very bad diarrhoea to the point he had to go multiple times an hour and did not make the tray at all. He would be on his way and we would lift him into the litter tray to go in there.

After some vet visits and a few days later, some of the time he still decides to go not in the litter trays. We bought another 2 so there is now 5 around our small 2 bed flat. We haven’t tried changing litter but that’s next on my list, however he is still sometimes pooing in the litter and always wees in the litter so I don’t know why it’s only sometimes? Is he still in a bit of pain and stressed? He goes not in the same place at all either, and miaows before going as if to tell me something.

any thoughts and advice?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he over the diarrhea? If not, that could very well be why. Since he doesn't always go in the same places, it doesn't sound so much like his scent is in those areas, inviting him to go there again and again. It sounds more like an urgency thing. And, the meowing seems consistent with that. Something is still bothering him.

What kind of testing was done? Were your cats treated for the stomach bug and/or diarrhea? Maybe it is going to take more treatments for your one guy who is still having trouble. I would check with the vet about this aspect. Tell them what is going on - especially since your one cat is fine now and the other is not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He’s definitely getting better, and the last poo not in the tray was 75% ‘normal’ so it doesn’t seem urgency in the same way it was at the weekend.

I have seen him head into the litter tray and try to go, and then his belly rumbles and he then gets spooked, runs out and goes somewhere else.Other times he just scrapes around a few corners and goes.He also has started to go in a plant pot soil bed.

I wouldn’t say he’s any more ill than the other kitten has been, just the toilet location issues :(

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, worth mentioning he was much more ill than the other kitten with more severe diarrhoea. (Other cat is a bit more robust and bigger)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen him head into the litter tray and try to go, and then his belly rumbles and he then gets spooked, runs out and goes somewhere else. Other times he just scrapes around a few corners and goes.He also has started to go in a plant pot soil bed.
Belly rumbles would seem to be related to digestive issues of some sort. So, if you were giving any treatment (you didn't say) for their stomach bug/diarrhea, it is either taking him longer to get over it or he needs more treatment. Hopefully, he will continue to improve. Let us know.

kittendad10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - apologies I hadn't mentioned, they were on special gastro food, also probiotics. We didn't do antibiotics in the end as they were improving daily. You were correct, even though he seemed better and poops were better, he was clearly still in discomfort - he's not had any issues since and is back to being his usual well-trained kitten! Phew....