Kitten peeing on the floor

mrd94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitten & her mom. We use two litter boxes that are cleaned every day. The kitten knows how to use the litter box but she has a spot on the tile right near our front door that she likes to pee on during the night. We have used a small pet fence to separate off that area & the issue stopped for a while, but we’re using the pet fence outside for our dog, so she has begun her habit again. I’m unsure if this is a habit thing or a scent thing; I clean it pretty thoroughly and it seems to clean and get rid of the scent but maybe I need to add something to my cleaning mixture. She also was recently at the vet for pre-spay bloodwork & she was completely healthy although I didn’t bring this issue up with her doc yet bc I was just focused on getting her spayed.

Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Try putting a small litter pan there, and then move it, gradually over a few days, in increments of inches if she's really attached to that area, towards where you have the other litter pans.

Are there cats outside? Maybe use an enzymatic cleaner on the outside.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You do need to use an enzyme based cleaner, like Nature’s Miracle to fully remove the urine scent, but I second moving a litter box to the spot for a while and then gradually moving it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to use an enzyme cleaner specifically for pet mess clean ups. Soak the area and let sit for awhile before wiping it up and running a damp mop or Swiffer Wet or a steam mop over it. Regular household cleaner won't work and those that are ammonia based will just attract the kitten to the spot over and over again (urine contains ammonia after all). Lysol products are toxic to cats so don't use that brand for cleaning around the home.

Can you put a small litter box by the door at night and remove it in the morning? Or lay down some puppy pads?

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes--wondering how far this spot is from her litter box? I'd second the idea of putting an extra box there and seeing what happens.