Kitten Open Mouth Breathing And Shaking Head

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have found a stray kitten a mounth ago, alone with no mother and siblings. He was around 2 months old, was afraid of people, so I couldn't trap him at first. I fed him for 1 week and then he started to get used to me.
When I succeed to gain his trust and brought him to our home, to a separate room, isolated from our cats at home.
He has been with us since 3 weeks. We have found him a new home and we were planning to bring him to his new home this weekend.

Yesterday, when I entered his room to feed him and to have some play with him, I noticed that he was breathing open mouth while purring at the same time. There was nothing in the room he can swallow. I rushed him to vet. He completely breathed normal there, so they said maybe he was too excited and happy to see me, this may cause open mouth breathing.
When we got back to home he started open mouth breathing again. I checked him for 15 minutes every hour and he never breath normal. Besides he started to shake his head, squint, he began uninterested in plays, and he does not want me to touch him. I really afraid he wouldn't make it until the morning.
He still eats, drinks and uses litter box normally. Just 1 day ago he was so loving, was running to me to be petted and playful, now he does not want to petted and sites/lays in his box mostly.

I took videos and brought him to vet again this morning. He again was normal there. When I showed below videos they didn't think it is something serious. But since I insist they offered me to leave him there for monitoring and blood tests. He is at the vet now, and will stay there couple of hours.

Note: He had soft stools when I first got him, a very minor infection on one eye only. His eye is cured with antibiotic drops in 2-3 days. We dewormed him 2 times in 3 weeks. But his stools are still a bit soft. When I give him chicken breast, stool hardens but when he eats only kibble it becomes soft again.

Since he developed these problems so suddenly I am afraid it may be something serious like FIP. What do you think? Am I exaggerating or is there really something serious?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He does seem like something is bothering him a bit. I dont know. Hopefully the vet can figure something out. Do keep us updated on the little cute guy. :crossfingers:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it were me, I'd have the vets thoroughly check out his inner ears for mites/ parasites, bacterial or fungal infection. I'd also have them check his nose cavity, if they are able to do so.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, we have an update. His ears and nose are checked. He has a minor ear infection and also some clogging on his nose which is not apparent from the outside.
We also got blood test results. His wbc level is a bit low 4,5.
Now he is on antibiotics and I also started to give him a vitamin and mineral supplement.
We have dealth with low wbc in one of our cats previously, now she is fine. I hope this little guy will also be fine soon.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Seems like a neurological or vestibular issue.
Does he walks fine, straight, balanced?
Toxoplasmosis can give neurological symptoms.

In the first video it seems to me he has cold or a sore throat. Am I wrong?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the update! sounds like you have it under control, hopefully he will be all better very soon! :cheerleader:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the replies, we have an update. His ears and nose are checked. He has a minor ear infection and also some clogging on his nose which is not apparent from the outside.
We also got blood test results. His wbc level is a bit low 4,5.
Now he is on antibiotics and I also started to give him a vitamin and mineral supplement.
We have dealth with low wbc in one of our cats previously, now she is fine. I hope this little guy will also be fine soon.
Several antibiotics can make a kitty feel nauseated so, along with his stuffy nose, make sure his meals are extra odiferous and yummy-smelling for the duration of his meds! Eating is soooo important for a kitten.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Seems like a neurological or vestibular issue.
Does he walks fine, straight, balanced?
Toxoplasmosis can give neurological symptoms.

In the first video it seems to me he has cold or a sore throat. Am I wrong?
At first, I was afraid of the same thing. But he walks fine, straight and balanced. Today is day 3 on his antibiotics, vet also gave ear drops to him. Today he is more interested in plays, still breaths noisly with open mouth, shakes his head less.

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several antibiotics can make a kitty feel nauseated so, along with his stuffy nose, make sure his meals are extra odiferous and yummy-smelling for the duration of his meds! Eating is soooo important for a kitten.
Thank you. Luckly he has a big appetite. He eats like a little monster :updown:

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His antibiotic course is finished yesterday. Today we brougt him to vet for final check up. Everything is fine now :yess: This little fella is ready for his new home :)