Kitten Nutrition

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so my cat had a c-section 2 weeks ago. 1 died and 2 survived. So those 2 who's names are Pumpkin and Smokey are now 2 weeks old. I read online that at 2 weeks old, the kitten's eyes are supposed to be fully open. Well thats true for Pumpkin but not Smokey. Neither of his are opened yet and compared to Pumpkin, he's really small. Pumpkin has a bigger head than smokey, her ears are more out, she has a bigger/heavier belly and she's more active than smokey. Could it be that Pumpkin is getting more nutrition than him? Also I think smokey has a flu or somewhat cuz he's been sneezing a lot and snot coming out of his nose. I think that he probably got it from his mom cuz the mom was also sick about a week ago. Can anyone tell me if this is normal or should I start bottle feeding them

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its good to have a scale measuring in grammes, and see if and how much they add every day. A healthy kitten adds typically 10+ grammes a day, sometimes 20+.
But kittens arent no automatos, eye opening and weight is in part individual.

Is it possible smokey has pus in eyes, making them shut?

That said, I think its wise to supplement Smokey already now as it sounds from your description. Try bottle as its easier, but probably you will need to use a needleless syringe. Kittens whom have momma are often reluctant to bottle.

This with syringe is somewhat tricky for a first timer, so look some youtube films, and train without kitten.

If you can get raw goats milk its best. But regular pasteurized is OK. A good alternative is PetAgs KMR in powder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Puss as in lie yellow ish stuff? I dont think so, just after I posted i saw both eyes being partially opened but it was really small. I have tried syringe feeding Smokey cuz he and his sister were separated for a while from his mom. It was pretty hard and he doesn't exactly cooperate. We do have some goat milk just incase we needed it. Smokey also does nurse with his mom but I think he has trouble finding the nipple because when I try to help him, he just keeps sniffing upwards and goes up and up away from the nipple. Also I was just wondering, is there any chance that Smokey is the runt of the litter and if it's normal for runts to be just kinda smaller/bonier than the rest

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Can you take Smokey to the vet? It sounds like he may need an antibiotic to clear his upper respiratory infection (URI). And be aware that Pumpkin can catch it too!

Wipe Smokey’s eyes and nose gently with a warm, damp cloth as needed to keep them clean. Do not force the eyes open though if they are still “opening” for the first time.

Continue to put Smokey to mom’s nipple and to offer supplemental feeding. He may be less hungry if he’s not feeling well and can’t smell, but he still needs to eat.

He does sound like the runt, so continue to observe him. Most runts eventually catch up though over time.

Keep us posted! :)

catpower321 catpower321

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Before we left the vet which was 22nd of June, the doctors said the babies were fine and clear. This was while the mother cat had to stay at the vet for like 5 days and the babies were with her so they did checkups I think. We're thinking about bringing them to the vet tomorrow cuz it's getting kinda late and my moms tired.

Clear water comes out from his eyes but just a really small amount as smokey seems to be opening his eyes. Don't worry we're not forcing him to open it. We just syringe fed Smokey and boy was he hungry. He even licked the milk from my hands that were dripping and tried to suck on my finger. We also tried to give pumpkin some in case she was a lil hungry and she ate almost as much as smokey. Idk if the mother cat is not producing enough milk cuz she barely eats a lot. We have to crunch the hard food til it's like powder ish and add water and syringe feed her. She does eat the hard food herself once in a while tho but only like 3-5 pieces. Also is it fine if the baby cats eat off both their mothers milk and this goat milk we feed her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it’s fine if the kittens nurse and receive supplemental feedings from you. In fact, it sounds like they need the extra feedings desperately, so continue with it every 4 hours for now. How much did they eat from the syringe?

Will mama cat eat wet food? If she is not eating enough she will not produce much milk. She does not sound well, so I would get her vet checked again. In the meantime, try feeding her Gerber chicken or turkey baby food. Cats usually love it.

Do wipe Smokey’s eyes with the warm, damp cloth a few times a day. It will help.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont know how much the ate exactly but at least 3 small syringes. The mama cat does not like wet food but we could try again. We're starting to feed her with the syringe so she eats more and produce milk for the babies. Because if we don't initiate the feeding, she wont eat enough food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will she eat boiled chicken or cheese or yogurt? She’s allowed to have those.

Azalea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could a mama cat in that situation be given egg yolks? I remember doing that for mine when fostering her and her kittens - and she didn't like wet food either.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if there is no fear of salmonella. The eggs can be scrambled as well. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma can get goats milk she too.

Get home a scale. This way you will know exactly instead of guessing as you must do now.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
hey uhh i don't know about eggs but she does like little bits of cheese from like the squared cheese slices. But I thought cats are lactose intolerance? But anyway, the mama cat also likes to eat raw quakers oatmeal added with milk. She loves it but we stopped giving her cuz we thought it was unhealthy.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
There is much less lactose in cheese and yoghurt.

Goats milk has some lactose, but in practice all cats manage gots milk just fine, unlike cow milk.

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey I need help, Smokey is really weak and I don't think he's getting much nutrition. Compared to pumpkin, he's really small and I can feel his bones when I touch him. His eyes has barely opened, he has snot all around his nose and now he won't open his mouth when we try to syringe feed him. We clean his nose and eyes every once in a while with a warm cloth cuz we think it's clogging up his nose and he can't breathe. Pumpkin is really healthy, both her eyes have opened, she's fat and loves nursing with the momma. We brought him to the vet but they said they couldn't do anything bc it would have been too dangerous to give him any antibiotics/fluids. I really don't want him to die but it seems like he won't make it. Is there still anyway to save him? Here are some pictures (btw these pics were from 5 days ago, i'll get some pics later cuz the kitties are sleeping)
June 25 2019.jpg
June 24, 2019.jpeg

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there another vet who can help you? He needs exactly antibiotics and fluids, just in a very small amount appropriate for kittens. He could also be tube fed if a vet can show you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, he needs meds and fluids. Find another vet. Vets who won’t treat tiny kittens do not know what they are doing. He needs immediate help!

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
we've been to 2 vets and they wound't treat him. All they said was just make sure he's with his mom and u syringe feed him, at least he gets like 3 drops of milk. Mind you I live in Indonesia and I guess thats how people are? idk I'm just really sad I'm gonna lose Smokey :(

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That’s a shame. Can you get clavamox or amoxicillin anywhere?

Put a drop of honey on his gums before you give milk. The sugar in it should give him a boost.

Have you tried steam?

catpower321

The owner of PB & Jello
Young Cat
Purraise
so uhh idk wat clavamox or amoxicillin is and idk if we have that here. How should I put the drop of honey? Like with a q-tip? Wat do u mean by using steam?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just use your finger to put honey on his mouth and gums.

Hold him in the bathroom on your lap while you run a hot shower. The steam may help clear his stuffy nose.

Never mind about the antibiotics.