Kitten Not Gaining Weight

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everyone. My 8 month old kitten is at the same weight since 2 months ago and seems to be growing up very slowly. It has a healthy appetite and is super hyperactive. It's also very skinny. It doesn't seem to gave any health problems apart from loose stools that the vet described as food sensitivities which I'm currently investigating further. I'm feeding about 200 grams a day of a high quality meat-only complete kitten caned food and I'm also supplying vitamin supplements. It's currently weighing 9 pounds and hasn't gain a gram for two months now. Should i be worried? Can a kitten have hyper thyroid issues?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you provide kibble for free feeding throughout the day? Also, 9 pounds is within average range so your kitten may have reached its basic size. Did your vet show you how to check for signs of dehydration? Adding some unflavored pedialyte to its water may help if there is an electrolyte imbalance; the 50/50 ratio is the standard. Also, be sure that the litter is fragrance free/unscented because sensitive anal tissues are easily irritated with those perfumes and fragrances that are added for the benefit of humans, not cats.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi everyone. My 8 month old kitten is at the same weight since 2 months ago and seems to be growing up very slowly. It has a healthy appetite and is super hyperactive. It's also very skinny. It doesn't seem to gave any health problems apart from loose stools that the vet described as food sensitivities which I'm currently investigating further. I'm feeding about 200 grams a day of a high quality meat-only complete kitten caned food and I'm also supplying vitamin supplements. It's currently weighing 9 pounds and hasn't gain a gram for two months now. Should i be worried? Can a kitten have hyper thyroid issues?
Every cat is different but 200grams may not be enough for a kitten. Kittens should eat as much as they want and have unlimited access to food. I’d simply feed him more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you provide kibble for free feeding throughout the day? Also, 9 pounds is within average range so your kitten may have reached its basic size. Did your vet show you how to check for signs of dehydration? Adding some unflavored pedialyte to its water may help if there is an electrolyte imbalance; the 50/50 ratio is the standard. Also, be sure that the litter is fragrance free/unscented because sensitive anal tissues are easily irritated with those perfumes and fragrances that are added for the benefit of humans, not cats.
He is not dehydrated and he is not free fed with dry food. He only eats 4 meals of wet food daily

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unless you have reason to believe that he is expected to be a large cat, I would tend to agree with catsknowme catsknowme in that he might have reached his adult weight. But, I will say it does seem odd that he reached full adult size by the age of 6 months.

You say he looks skinny? Can you post a pic of him?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
5F65B6FF-F834-4CDE-88B0-B5F6F2FF7A96.jpeg
Unless you have reason to believe that he is expected to be a large cat, I would tend to agree with catsknowme catsknowme in that he might have reached his adult weight. But, I will say it does seem odd that he reached full adult size by the age of 6 months.

You say he looks skinny? Can you post a pic of him?
Of course. Here he is..

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks very normal to me! I have had several cats that are done growing around 6 months. They will 'fill out' after they get a little older. He looks like a typical teenager! 9 lbs is a normal adult weight, he may be physically grown but remember he still has the mind of a teen!
I can usually tell when they are too thin by their hip bones jutting from their hips, and feeling the ribs right under the skin. Young cats have a hard time gaining weight, they are too active. Kitten food free fed, or a good quality dry left outr should put some weight on, that is what I use for my seniors.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He is a very good looking guy - and does appear to have the potential to be a fairly sizeable cat based on his length and size of his paws.

I agree with di and bob di and bob - he doesn't look at all skinny. As long as he is eating/drinking well, using the litter box normally, I wouldn't worry too much about his weight. You can continue to keep track of it, as there is certainly no harm in doing so. Besides, he might surprise you and have another growth spurt yet!

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens shouldn’t be monitored on food. They need to eat they are growing fast. I have 3 14 month old kittens. One is runny at 7.5 pounds. She’s been their size since she was 6 months old...

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens shouldn’t be monitored on food. They need to eat they are growing fast. I have 3 14 month old kittens. One is runny at 7.5 pounds. She’s been their size since she was 6 months old...
My male cat is also 11.4 months. He’s taller now than his sister they was his same size but had yet to fill out. He’s now 1 inch tall than here. He’s eat a ton I can see him growing everyday. He’s not fat. But males can grown and softer do grow past a year.

Attachments

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My male cat is also 11.4 months. He’s taller now than his sister they was his same size but had yet to fill out. He’s now 1 inch tall than here. He’s eat a ton I can see him growing everyday. He’s not fat. But males can grown and softer do grow past a year.
Sorry auto correct. He weighs 11.4 has weighed this since he was 9 months hes 14 months now. He eats a ton. No idea where all his good goes. But I allow him to eat as much wet food as he wants, he also has dry which he shares one cup with his sisters. Boys can grow past year.