Kitten Nosebleeds

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any experience with nosebleeds in kittens? My new kitten we adopted from the shelter picked up a cold. We took him to the vet and they gave him some antibiotics. He took them and started feeling better in about a week but his nose was still stuffy and he developed a bloody nose. The vet agrees it was hard to say if it was the antibiotics that made him better since a week is about time for a cold to run its course anyways, and the fact he's still stuffy and whatnot suggests it could be the herpes virus infection he has. The other thing it could be is a polyp or something in his sinus but he would require anesthesia for that exam. So right now we are going to try some lysine treats once a day and famciclovir twice a day and some saline drops. Does this medicine usually clear things up? Will this affect my other cat the same? She seems to have picked up a sniffle from him

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The lysine treats and famciclovir will certainly do the trick if the herpes is causing the nosebleed, secondary to the congestion. If it is a polyp, it won't do a thing for it, but it won't hurt a thing either! And your other cat can certainly contract the herpes, but it is very manageable, so don't beat yourself up over it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So an update - It is now January 10 and his nose is STILL congestsed. He basically sounds like hes snoring all day long. It's hard to tell if the famciclovere really did anything because although his nose bleed cleared up, he started getting this green snotty discharge from his nose and he is still sneezing ALL THE TIME. Like I have a bottle of spot cleaner next to the couch because he snot rockets all over the place when he sneezes.

He simply won't eat the lysine treats the vet gave us. The other cat who was getting sick ate them no problem and she is now perfectly fine. So I am wondering if the problem is that he won't the lysine. It's been a month nearly and hes still sick with this darn cold. Maybe its because hes a baby hes having a hard time fighting it?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he is eating wet food then you could try mixing lysine in with his food. And it's always harder for the very young and very old of any species to fight off infections, you know. That may be a part of it. Do check with your vet about this, though.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If he is eating wet food then you could try mixing lysine in with his food. And it's always harder for the very young and very old of any species to fight off infections, you know. That may be a part of it. Do check with your vet about this, though.
I am going to call them again but I have a feeling they are just going to have us come in and give us more medicine to buy. We're both getting frustrated. Me because he won't willing take the medicine he needs and him because he doesn't to be held down and force fed medicine he doesn't like. He's been on prescriptions since we brought him home. we were adding the medicine to his wet food but sometimes he doesn't eat it all and I was like well if you aren't going to eat it all its getting busted up and mixed with water and syringe it into his mouth because he needs to take the whole dose. He just looks at me like why are you doing this to me? his nose is so crusty and dry but he sees the drops coming and instantly wants to leave

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Like having a three-year-old sometimes, isn't it? Hand in there. Breathe deep, and try to relax. They pick up on your mood in a heartbeat, and reflect it back to you. The more frustrated you are, the harder he will be to deal with. It sounds as if I am being flip, but I'm not...sometimes a few minutes of meditation and a cup of chamomile tea for you makes a HUGE difference for you cat!

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Like having a three-year-old sometimes, isn't it? Hand in there. Breathe deep, and try to relax. They pick up on your mood in a heartbeat, and reflect it back to you. The more frustrated you are, the harder he will be to deal with. It sounds as if I am being flip, but I'm not...sometimes a few minutes of meditation and a cup of chamomile tea for you makes a HUGE difference for you cat!
I swear its like living with a permanent baby LOL I dont even have kids. I told my BF I could never hack being a mother for real. He told me his friends gf was feeling motherly and he said isn't that why people get cats?

Little man is lucky hes cute! I think he might be my biggest fan when it comes my knitting so he gets away with everything. even sneezing all over my new couch

I went to shoppers and grabbed some lysine tablets - if he wont eat the treats ill jsut bust these up and mix them in his food or mix them with water and syringe it into his mouth (he hates that)

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Kittens have one big advantage over kids...they become adults MUCH sooner, althought they pretty much go through the same stages and behaviors...just faster. If you know something about kids and teens, and want a clue as to why your boy is acting like he is acting, try this, for fun: Cat Age Calculator - Convert To Human Years

Yep, get the tablets and get them down him however necessary! Better than not. I'm still wondering about polyps, but I'd certainly give the medications every chance before going into that.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens have one big advantage over kids...they become adults MUCH sooner, althought they pretty much go through the same stages and behaviors...just faster. If you know something about kids and teens, and want a clue as to why your boy is acting like he is acting, try this, for fun: Cat Age Calculator - Convert To Human Years

Yep, get the tablets and get them down him however necessary! Better than not. I'm still wondering about polyps, but I'd certainly give the medications every chance before going into that.
I am fairly confident he doesnt have a polyp - when he breaths through his nose I can hear the snot bubbling LOL

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its weird because he won't eat the lysine treat so i give the older cat one and she chews it up but some of it falls out of her mouth and he makes a beeline to run over there and eat the pieces that fell out of her mouth LOL

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well that was my thinking, Ill give Mystee a treat and since OJ seems to think shes some sort of God maybe he will eat his treat too. No, he just wanted the peice that fell out of her mouth. She wasn't impressed either and walked over and ate his

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just hope this bugger calms down by summer because right now his favourite thing to do is torment the other cat and she really doesn't like it. She wants to be in the living room with us but hes all hey there best friend!!!! and then she leaves and goes upstairs. Right his stuffy nose is useful because she can hear him coming LOL

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I feel for you both! He will calm down, not sure if by summer, but he will.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
LOL, I feel for you both! He will calm down, not sure if by summer, but he will.
So I got the 1000mg lysine pills from the drug store yesterday - it was the same price for the same amount of pills in either 500mg or 1000 mg so i figured id get the 1000mg and break them in half for when hes not sick and give him a whole one when he is. So I just put the pill in a small amount of water and let it dissolve in there and then mixed that into his wetfood. it looked kinda soupy I didn't think he would eat it but he devoured it. A handful of hours later - literally - he was NOTICEABLY less stuffy. He went from that bubbly stuffy nose sound to just kinda whistly, like at the beginning of his cold. He had almost no nose crusties, and just seems to be a little happier (not that he already wasn't). Pretty soon hes going to be sneaking up on us and we wont him hear him coming LOL

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use L-lysine powder to blend into their wet food. So they eat what they think it's their food but they are also getting their daily dose of L-lysine.
My bottle says that I have to give it to the cat for not less than 30 days.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use L-lysine powder to blend into their wet food. So they eat what they think it's their food but they are also getting their daily dose of L-lysine.
My bottle says that I have to give it to the cat for not less than 30 days.
The vet told me ten days. I would imagine since it's not harmful the manufacturer wants you to use it up and buy more

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I purchased a new bottle of powder two days ago, 120 grams for 20 euro. It's for a kitten with respiratory issues. This should last for at least 8 or 9 months, it isn't a great waste of money :)
I also think that being this a supplement, a long course of treatment could be helpful against possible relapses.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I purchased a new bottle of powder two days ago, 120 grams for 20 euro. It's for a kitten with respiratory issues. This should last for at least 8 or 9 months, it isn't a great waste of money :)
I also think that being this a supplement, a long course of treatment could be helpful against possible relapses.
yes I have heard you can use it daily to prevent them from getting sick which i will probably do aswell. It's about $7-8 cdn for a bottle of 60 pills in either 1000mg or 500mg - will last a few months i think if i get the 1000mg and break them in half.