Kitten new to raw

muffinmouse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good day all. We have a 5 month old male kitten that has always had very runny, smelly stool. I started reading about a raw diet and decided this was the way to go for us and believed it would solve the loose stool issue. We do not make our own but use Feline Natural which is a raw freeze dried, as well as Primal Fortuna for cats in the Rabbit formula. We also grabbed some Spring Meadows in the raw chicken formula but haven't tried any yet. Ok so granted it's only been 2.5 days but I've seen zero improvement in the stool solidifying. Is there something else I should do? Too soon? He needs to go in some time this month to get fixed. He was too small and underweight for the procedure when we adopted him. Thanks in advance.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the Raw Side :)
A couple of things: what food (protein) was he on before you started feeding him raw? Some cats are allergic to chicken, whether in a canned food or raw organic.
Has he been checked/double checked for worms, parasites?
And, are you also giving him a probiotic--highly recommended for cats new to raw.
Oh, and I think you might need to wait another day or two or three before noticing a change.

pisces7386

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
   I second Ritz's question about protein type. I am just about to start feeding raw to my little crew because we have a chicken sensitivity in the family. All three have really stinky stool and two of them get really runny if we feed them chicken based foods. Also, don't just go by the 'flavor' of the food to know if there is chicken protein in it. You have to read the ingredient list- there is chicken in more cat foods than I expected. 

I have also read though, that some cats which have problems with chicken are okay with it in the raw form. 

And the other things that Ritz mentioned too.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, do read the labels: when I was looking for a non-fish food, I was surprised/dismayed to find it in many foods.
You may not be facing this situation but: some cats are so severely sensitive to say, chicken, that they can't handle organs from that animal. So the same advice about reading labels on canned food also pertains to commercial raw food.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If a PCR panel was not run, I would recommend that be done because parasites are the most common cause of runny smelly stool in kittens. Some can be very difficult to detect through a regular fecal test.