Kitten litter training

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi thereveryone. So my kittens are 10 weeks old and have sort of got the hang of the litter box however they do still poo outside the box. We have been putting them in it after meals and showing then what to do and whenever I see them scratching at tye carpet is usually a sign they need the toilet so I'll tale them to it. Our cat jasper is usually good at using it but buddy seems a bit slower to everything he copies Jasper mostly so I'm hoping he will catch on quickly as it's a nightmare to clean up and certainly not God for little kittens. So what we have done is moved furniture to cover up the places they liked to go and scrubbed tye carpet and used some products to help remove the smell lill but still concerned they might smell their smell as I haven't used any enzyme removing products. Is there anything else on should be doing or any other waysuggestions to help them learn how to use the litter box?

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi cat lover 360,

How many litter boxes do you have? Are your cats sharing one litter box? If they are, then that might be the reason to the problem. You need at least one litter box for each cat.

Maybe these articles will help you.

[article="32366"]​[/article]

[thread="9563"]​[/thread]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I have one litter box for both kittens I do have two for my adult cat but only have 1 for my kittens as the adult box is too high for them. I will run out and get another box.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your advice me do you know what age is okay to clip their claws at? They have extremely sharp claws and tend to leave early me covered in scrutches most days from their claws mostly they dont mean it

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thanks for your advice me do you know what age is okay to clip their claws at? They have extremely sharp claws and tend to leave early me covered in scrutches most days from their claws mostly they dont mean it
Get them used to nail clipping as early as you can. Some cats don't like their paws to be touched which make it hard to clip their nails and end up a stressful episode for them. Cats don't like to be stressed.

Before you even clip their nails, try stroking their paws so that they'll get use to your touch which is not a threat to them. Some cats don't mind having their paws touched and some don't. Then just practice without the clipper by pressing gently on the paw to get the claws extended.
If they struggle, stop doing it and come back later. Don't have to cut all at one go, unless your cat can really sit still to let you clip. Can continue the next day.
I clip my boy's nail when he is sleeping and drowsy. This way less struggles from him and I don't make any mistakes.

Here's an article on nail clipping :

[article="29669"][/article]

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks very much for your advice i very nervous and shaky person so im reluctant to clip their nails at all but ill give it a go.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
thanks very much for your advice i very nervous and shaky person so im reluctant to clip their nails at all but ill give it a go.
You are welcomed [emoji]128515[/emoji]

Do it slow and don't stress your kitty. If you feel that you are not up to it, please don't do it till you have more confidence. If not get someone with experience to do it for you.

Don't clip too deep. In the beginning just clip off the sharp point. Once you have more confidence, clip a little more but watch the 'quick' (the part that is pinkish red which is the blood vessel). If your cats claws are transparent, it's easy to see the 'quick'. Of the claws are black, then you have to be extra extra careful as not to clip off too much, if not the claw will bleed if the blood vessel is being cut. Standby some Styptic Powder. It'll stop bleeding if you accidentally cut the blood vessel while clipping too deep.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank u so much h for your help on this issue they are now fully litter trained and doing great I just changed from wood pellets to sand type litter and they use that amazingly well

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
So happy to hear that they are doing great with the new sand litter.
Please post photos of your kitties for us to see and do go through the site for other articles and do ask any questions if you need help. There are many here with good knowledge and are willing to help.

Last edited:

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Jasper has markinga on his wee face and buddy is curled up in a ball sleeping.Jasper is boisterous and playful and cheeky if a cat can be cheeky lol

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
They are so lovely and sweet! [emoji]128149[/emoji]

Yes, kittens grow very fast. Will you be getting them spayed or neutered? Here's an article on that.

[article="22304"][/article]

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I'll be getting them neutered as soon as I can once they have had a check up and vaccines I've not been able to get them into the Bluetooth yet which is a major fail on my part. In the jet two weeks I should have the funds to do so.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness spery that is my autocorrelation on my phone it is meant to say vet so I wonder how it gt from vet to Bluetooth! I've been meaning to get to the vet with them but haven't managed it yet with moving and trying to figure out vets in the area I'm in and costs etc. There is a charity run vet if you are on a low income which he you don't have to pay but only make a donation when you visit but Im not eligible for that at the moment so I have to wait but that puts a lot of strain on my finances, I can manage of course so I'll get them booked in I had them booked in but had to cancel a few times. They haven't been seen by a vet at all so I'm eager to get them to a vet aa they have had no vaccines and I'm worried about that of course even though they don't go outside it's always a worry.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh ya, sometimes the autocorrect is over smart and worng words are sent :lol3:

Hope you can get on the charity queue.

cat lover 360

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I definitely agree with you on autocorrect. Yes I hope I get on there too fingers crossed. For now it's private just so I can make sure they are okay :)