Kitten keeps crying to go outside

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I took my little guy out on a leash a couple weeks ago and this seems to have been a huge mistake. Now he's obsessed with going outside. He keeps trying to get by us at the door, and cries at the door if we're not going in and out. My intent was to keep him as an indoor cat with walks outside on a leash, but now I'm not sure. I can think of two options, which is now keep him strictly indoors in hopes he'll eventually not want to go outside, or take him out on leash more frequently in hopes he'll only go outside on leash.
I don't really know which would be more likely to succeed, or what else to do beyond getting a shock mat so he stays away from the doors but I'd prefer not to do that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few questions - how old is your cat? Is he neutered?

Many people take their cats outside every day. Walking on a leash is a much, much safer alternative to being outside alone.

Definitely don't go with the shock mat!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have occasionally considered taking a cat outside on a leash, but IMO this has to be something done every day, which does not appeal to me. I would think it unfair not to take it out every day. I find it better to keep my cats inside all the time.

Last edited:

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
take him out on leash more frequently in hopes he'll only go outside on leash.
My inclination is this. It can be an additional source of mental stimulation for him, which is always a good thing. Even a couple of times a week is good, it doesn't have to be every day unless you can make that work.

My cat stays indoor because he's not interested in outside, and I live near a busy highway, and woodland.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A few questions - how old is your cat? Is he neutered?

Many people take their cats outside every day. Walking on a leash is a much, much safer alternative to being outside alone.

Definitely don't go with the shock mat!
He's four months old, and he is neutered. I never intend to allow him to be out without supervision but this whole door dashing is a bit of a concern. While I really don't like it, if I can't get him to stop door dashing I'd rather he get an unpleasant shock than run outside to get hit by a car or killed by a coyote. But it's only a last resort if I can't sort this out in a non painful matter.

I have occasionally considered taking a cat outside on a leash, but IMO this has to be something done every day, which does not appeal to me. I would think it unfair not to take it out every day. I find it better to keep my cats inside all the time.
I was actually thinking to get a tie out similar to the one my dog has, that way he can enjoy the sun and grass outside in the backyard even if I can't take him out myself. I'd still supervise, but I could sit and read a textbook or something while he explores.
Like, I definitely would consider keeping him in all the time if I thought it would stop the door dashing, but I'm worried it may be too late since he's already got a taste of it. In either case I need to stop him from wanting to run out the door.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's four months old, and he is neutered. I never intend to allow him to be out without supervision but this whole door dashing is a bit of a concern. While I really don't like it, if I can't get him to stop door dashing I'd rather he get an unpleasant shock than run outside to get hit by a car or killed by a coyote. But it's only a last resort if I can't sort this out in a non painful matter.
I was actually thinking to get a tie out similar to the one my dog has, that way he can enjoy the sun and grass outside in the backyard even if I can't take him out myself. I'd still supervise, but I could sit and read a textbook or something while he explores.
Like, I definitely would consider keeping him in all the time if I thought it would stop the door dashing, but I'm worried it may be too late since he's already got a taste of it. In either case I need to stop him from wanting to run out the door.
Tie outs don't usually work for cats. Most cat harnesses say not to use them with tie outs since cats can easily slip out of the harness and escape. 

I take my cats out for walks every now and then. They really enjoy getting to spend time outside. 

I can't imagine that a shocking mat would work- I feel it would scare the cat and get them to run, possibly out of the door even faster.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tie outs don't usually work for cats. Most cat harnesses say not to use them with tie outs since cats can easily slip out of the harness and escape. 

I take my cats out for walks every now and then. They really enjoy getting to spend time outside. 

I can't imagine that a shocking mat would work- I feel it would scare the cat and get them to run, possibly out of the door even faster.
I would still supervise if I did tie him out, it would just allow me to do something else at the same time, if I have something to do.
The shocking mat, if it's there all the time, should make him not want to go near the door ever, even if it's open. Like I said though, it's a last resort.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my experience with several cats is that the more you let him out, whether it's for walks or in the back yard, the more he'll want to go out.  if you don't take him out, he'll get over it over time - but you'll have to deal with his dashing till he does.  i've had cats who never went outside who still did the dash every time. 

i don't believe a shock mat is a good idea - cats don't respond to things the same way dogs do, and you don't want a fearful or always stressed cat!  just be careful when you leave, and as you close the door, keep a foot in the crack just before it's shut.  i would definitely talk to your vet before trying a shock mat. 

carpdirector

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rather than a shock mat, you could try a squirt bottle. I have a stray that I recently took in who is dying to go back outside. To discourage him from dashing out the door, I squirted right in front him and at the door while he was standing there. Squirting the door kinda sprayed him, too. Now he's a little more cautious at the door. It has not stopped him from crying to go out...that is driving me crazy!

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rather than a shock mat, you could try a squirt bottle. I have a stray that I recently took in who is dying to go back outside. To discourage him from dashing out the door, I squirted right in front him and at the door while he was standing there. Squirting the door kinda sprayed him, too. Now he's a little more cautious at the door. It has not stopped him from crying to go out...that is driving me crazy!
that's a very good idea, much less likely to cause the cat emotional issues than a shock mat.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my experience with several cats is that the more you let him out, whether it's for walks or in the back yard, the more he'll want to go out.  if you don't take him out, he'll get over it over time - but you'll have to deal with his dashing till he does.  i've had cats who never went outside who still did the dash every time. 

i don't believe a shock mat is a good idea - cats don't respond to things the same way dogs do, and you don't want a fearful or always stressed cat!  just be careful when you leave, and as you close the door, keep a foot in the crack just before it's shut.  i would definitely talk to your vet before trying a shock mat. 
See, I kind of see it as if he's going to dash anyways, I might as well let him have the stimulation while supervised. But if I can help stop door dashing by keeping him inside then I'll give it a go.

He doesn't really respond to being sprayed too well. I am trying air cans which he seems to really hate the noise (maybe I should try turning the vacuum on anytime he approaches the door, he's terrified of the vacuum!). I want to try ssscat that way he associates it with the door, not people. I'm also trying to train him to perch and to stay on the perch when the door is open.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
See, I kind of see it as if he's going to dash anyways, I might as well let him have the stimulation while supervised. But if I can help stop door dashing by keeping him inside then I'll give it a go.
He doesn't really respond to being sprayed too well. I am trying air cans which he seems to really hate the noise (maybe I should try turning the vacuum on anytime he approaches the door, he's terrified of the vacuum!). I want to try ssscat that way he associates it with the door, not people. I'm also trying to train him to perch and to stay on the perch when the door is open.
sounds like you want your cat to behave like a dog - they have different personalities, and what works for a dog may be hard on a cat.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sounds like you want your cat to behave like a dog - they have different personalities, and what works for a dog may be hard on a cat.
In what manner do I want my cat to be a dog?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Personally, I think he is bored and lacking mental stimulation. He's young and has lots of energy, and anything he has not grown accustomed to like the inside of the house, is stimulating and entertaining.

Having a kitty buddy the same exact age and sex is always good too, but not always possible.

You don't want to use scare tactics, and understand the seriousness of your issue too, what about creating a spot where he can get the feel of outside, an enclosure or even maybe a window box?

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Personally, I think he is bored and lacking mental stimulation. He's young and has lots of energy, and anything he has not grown accustomed to like the inside of the house, is stimulating and entertaining.
Having a kitty buddy the same exact age and sex is always good too, but not always possible.

You don't want to use scare tactics, and understand the seriousness of your issue too, what about creating a spot where he can get the feel of outside, an enclosure or even maybe a window box?
I would love to do that for him, A smuch as id be happy to have another kitten i dont think my wallet would, haha.
I live at my parents rn, so unfortunately a window box/enclosure may not be an option. Would you know of anything that is non permanent and non destrutive (and budget friendly)? I may be able to convince my parents if thats the case. When I get my own place I hope to have a whole cat sunroom for him though.
Perhaps some more indoor enrichment would be good, although a bit tight on floor space (I badly want a tall cat tree for him, but unfortunately parents don't want to make space for things. I've been doing my best with toys and I did manage to get one cat gym (not the best for climbing or height, but it's something). Any other suggestions?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to do that for him, A smuch as id be happy to have another kitten i dont think my wallet would, haha.
I live at my parents rn, so unfortunately a window box/enclosure may not be an option. Would you know of anything that is non permanent and non destrutive (and budget friendly)? I may be able to convince my parents if thats the case. When I get my own place I hope to have a whole cat sunroom for him though.
Perhaps some more indoor enrichment would be good, although a bit tight on floor space (I badly want a tall cat tree for him, but unfortunately parents don't want to make space for things. I've been doing my best with toys and I did manage to get one cat gym (not the best for climbing or height, but it's something). Any other suggestions?
Vertical space is what cats really love. Not sure if your parents would be good with you hanging shelves on the wall of the room you stay in, and actually it should be in the area where you/he mostly hang out, not sure if that would be your room or the living room or where.

Living room likely wouldn't fly too well with them! lol

In your situation it's tough for the kitty, due to age, the endless energy, and so on.

Now an older mature cat, they couldn't care less about lots of mental stimulation, some still though, they get bored too.

Not sure how handy you are with making things, myself I would create the window box with 2 x 2 wood for a frame, a piece of plywood for the bottom, and get a roll of screen to tack/nail on the frame.

Very cheap to make! Then depending on the design of the windowsill would create 2 latches, one on each end of the box and use a simple hook and eye to hold it in place. 

On the outside you will need either 2 supports using 2 x 2 wood again, one end props against the house and the other end attaches to the outer edge of the box on the bottom, or if window is up too high for that you can use chain and eye bolts at the top.

Toss a rug on the bottom of the box and kitty will LOVE it!

Shoot, a fun and crafty project for your dad even?! Dads love to be asked for help with handy things, unless he is the business type and not in to making things.

No damage to the house either, make the same width as the chosen window, which should be centrally located in the common hang out area, and can be as deep as you want it to be as long as you have supports for it, or as small even, as long as kitty has space to lounge :)

Last edited:

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same. Ever since i let them outside on supervised visits, they want to go out all the time. My male keeps trying to escape our yard, and has become a very good jumper. So now i have to limit their garden time. They are meowing all the time. It's driving me nuts. Still waiting for my husband to build a cat run, but i think they will still carry on for a while not having the full run of the garden. Now i wish i had never let them out either.

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vertical space is what cats really love. Not sure if your parents would be good with you hanging shelves on the wall of the room you stay in, and actually it should be in the area where you/he mostly hang out, not sure if that would be your room or the living room or where.
Living room likely wouldn't fly too well with them! lol

In your situation it's tough for the kitty, due to age, the endless energy, and so on.
Now an older mature cat, they couldn't care less about lots of mental stimulation, some still though, they get bored too.

Not sure how handy you are with making things, myself I would create the window box with 2 x 2 wood for a frame, a piece of plywood for the bottom, and get a roll of screen to tack/nail on the frame.
Very cheap to make! Then depending on the design of the windowsill would create 2 latches, one on each end of the box and use a simple hook and eye to hold it in place. 
On the outside you will need either 2 supports using 2 x 2 wood again, one end props against the house and the other end attaches to the outer edge of the box on the bottom, or if window is up too high for that you can use chain and eye bolts at the top.
Toss a rug on the bottom of the box and kitty will LOVE it!
Shoot, a fun and crafty project for your dad even?! Dads love to be asked for help with handy things, unless he is the business type and not in to making things.
No damage to the house either, make the same width as the chosen window, which should be centrally located in the common hang out area, and can be as deep as you want it to be as long as you have supports for it, or as small even, as long as kitty has space to lounge :)
I may actually be able to take down some posters and put up some shelving in my bedroom. My parents aren't too fussy about my bedroom space so I think I can get away with it. And me and my dad aren't too handy, but I'll fly it by him, or ask my cousin for a quote since he's a hobby carpenter :)

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So unfortunately it's a no go from my parents *sigh*. I'm going to see if I can rearrange my room in a way that Tucker can get up to some of my taller furniture though. Make shift high points. At the very least I am allowed to move stuff around. Hopefully sometime sooner rather than later I'll be in my own place with the space to spoil him, but for now I'm just going to have to entertain him with what I can and make indoors seem more interesting than outdoors.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's understandable, everyone's different as far as open-mindedness to cater to cat's desires!

So moving some things around, maybe finding small cardboard boxes that are sturdy, just be sure that whatever you create can not move or shift, if so he will not be willing to use it if he feels it is unstable. Cats are cautious.

If there is a window in your room, put something in front of it so that he is able to at least see out, open the window but make sure the screen is secure so he can't push it out and escape. He will love the fresh air and sights/sounds.

Many cats will spot birds and start talking to them, I LOVE it when they do, making their chattering sounds.

My situation was similar to yours, in the way that I wanted to be able to let my cats enjoy the outdoors, but safely. My one girl Krissy I got when she was 4 hours old, and is my heart. She stayed with me constantly, including going to my store daily, was always in my hand, I remember I would be talking with a customer and there was Krissy, tiny baby sound asleep in my hand. Always.

Anyway, she grew completely familiar with cars, which is great because she loves to go bubye in the car :) BUT the downside is, she has absolutely NO fear of cars at all. None. 

I had her in the backyard once when she was about your boy's age and she slipped out of the yard, I caught her in the alley behind my house running along side a car!!!! That was it for me, I had to cat proof my yard.

What I did was bought a roll of chicken wire, the 4 ft wide one, not the soft flexible stuff but the stiff kind.

Cut it down the center, so I had 2 ft strips, and attached the wire to the top of my entire fence, all the way around, and my yard isn't exactly small either! lol

Attached to the top of my 6' wood fence, then bent it inward so it curled in. No escaping that! Keeps others out, keeps mine in, the best thing ever to keep kitties safe.

There's one that can be bought but it was way out of my range, so I created my own and it was just as effective.

Kitties love outside for all of it's sounds and smells and sights, birds chirping and bug chasing, lounging in the sun/grass. What a life!