Kitten Keeps Biting - Will That Cause Problems With My Resident Cat?

bornagirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I was hoping for some advice as I've been really stressing out about this situation.
I brought home a new kitten (around 8-10 weeks old) on Friday. We took him from shelter but he haven't really been with other cats much, he was found outside alone and then they kept him in a separate cage (they always do that with new kittens) up until we adopted him.
I already gave a 15 month old cat who is quite calm and shy. He does like attention sometimes and he likes to play but mostly he just chills out and he's also very very easily scared.
The two cats obviously haven't met yet as the kitten is still in his safe room and I'm doing scent swapping (old cat seems interested in the new kitten though and spends a lot of time staring at the door and making weird noises). However my problem with the new kitten is that he bites everything, including our hands and feet. He will just randomly jump and bite and if I move my hand from his reach he will grab it with all his body and just keeps biting. Even when he's not playing and running around and comes to be petted, he sometimes ends up biting my hand at some point (while purring). Today he was licking me and then decided to bite me yet again. I managed to trim most of his nails the other day so at least he doesn't draw blood anymore. But he really does it all the time, even if I'm holding a toy he will go for my hand and not a toy. I have all sorts of toys and he plays with them but he will most of the time bite me too while chasing a toy around.
The thing I'm concerned about is that once he's out of the room he'll start attacking and biting my resident cat. I was already really hesitant about adding a new cat as my current one is so easily scared but ultimately made a decision to adopt and I really want it to work out. I know that it's hard to tell what will happen as they haven't even been in the same room together yet but I'm just really worried about the situation.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Once they get acquainted I would most certainly not worry about your older cat. First of all your older will play some of that wild energy out of your kitten, and if the kitten gets to out of hand the older will provide some discipline by giving him a swift paw slap or holding him down until he squeals. These two will end up being best playmates.

As far as the kitten biting you, yelp or tell him “no” in a loud firm voice and then stop all play and attention for a while. Might take him a few months but he will start learning he can’t bite if he wants to be with you.