Kitten Just Started Suckling On Me?

SamIAmWich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 4 month old male Bombay kitten, and I have had him for almost 2 months now.
He's always affectionate and loving. Cuddles and snuggles with me all the time, loves to lay on or near me and purrs a lot.
This morning he woke me up doing something he hasn't done ever before, though. He was grooming my nose and chin and then he started to suckle on my ear lobe and lip. I woke up to this and even though it was cute I am afraid something might be wrong. He has done this twice today, now. Purring and kneading the whole time and then cuddling up on me and falling asleep. I want to ask if it's something I should be worried about?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't think there is anything wrong, just that he likes you just a little bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamIAmWich

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I think he seems me as a mom to him, but he's been with me for 2 months and this is out of nowhere... Is there any reason you can think about to why he started this now?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I think he seems me as a mom to him, but he's been with me for 2 months and this is out of nowhere... Is there any reason you can think about to why he started this now?
It's not really out of nowhere, as he has always been affectionate. :)
And you often see kittens who have been weaned early from their momma cats do a bit more grooming and suckling behaviors, especially with their "new human" parent.

gareth

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perfectly normal. Apparently your kitten has approves of you :) I hope you're ok with it, as he might continue into adulthood. My 6kg tomcat Loki still does it now and again.

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's very common for kittens separated from they're mum early. It can be a little confronting as sometimes it seems desperate or that they're anxious. It ok, it means he thinks you're his mum.
My girl does this. She thinks I'm her mum. I'm a dude.