Kitten jumping up onto counters

droidus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say my issue is two-fold here. But I recently got a kitten. He likes to jump up onto my kitchen counter tops, which I do not like. I've tried putting coffee grounds on the edges, but he still jumps up there and even licks them sometimes. What is the best way to deter him from doing this? I find that he is also very persistent, and when scolded and told no, he continues to do bad activities. Will this get better as he gets older? What is the best way to train him?

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest putting aluminum foil on the counters. Before you place it down, pull it from box, and shake it, to simulate thunder. Most cats do not like thunder, and most do not like the feeling or sound of foil on their feet. Always worked with my furr-babies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coffee is toxic to cats... don’t let him eat it.

Kittens are curious explorers so it may not be possible to teach him not to do this. Simply put him down every time when he’s up and hopefully he’ll decide to accept that he’s not allowed there. You can also set a high structure (cat tower?) for him to see what’s happening on the counter. But the easiest thing you can do would be just to let go and allow him there (after cat proofing the counter).

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, please don't put the coffee grounds there. They are not good for him to eat.

When we bring cats into our home we have to sometimes accommodate our living space so that it is also now their home. My cats go freely everywhere. It's in their nature to be curious and want to jump up high and explore. Sometimes giving up control is the only way to gain it.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like the comments from Azazel. My cats are always up on the counter tops and in all honesty I don't worry about it. My only concern has been that they don't hurt themselves on anything.

They're interested to see what I'm doing and they like to spend time with and near me. The kitchen is just another part of their home :)

I just keep wipes on hand and go over the surfaces over when they jump down. At least once a week I shut them out for 20 mins or so, clear the counters and deep clean (which will be easier now hopefully with a steam cleaner). I have a small kitchen lol.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
A spray bottle with vinegar/water is your best friend to keep the counters clean.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I didn't want Neko-chan on the counters due to sanitary issues. I got cheap plastic place mats and covered them with double sided tape. Put them on the counters so when she jumped up she felt the sticky on her feet. She stopped trying to get up there after a few weeks. I liked this idea better than the air cans as they seemed too scary.