Kitten Jumping On TV Cabinet

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sic month old kitten is driving me crazy! I attached a picture of my tv cabinet which she is constantly jumping onto and going out the back.

I have tried putting cardboard on the sides to block her but she decided to start jumping over the TV. I have tried to deterring her by spraying with water but nothing seems to work. She'll jump down but then go back give minutes later.

I'm terrified she's going to break the tv one day. I need some tips!!!!

Attachments

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cords hanging down behind it look really tempting. Is there any way to hide or rearrange those? Is there something else in that area that she could climb on instead? If so, I would give treats for climbing on the alternative item. Please do stop the spray bottle. As you have already seen it doesn’t really work and will make the kitten afraid of you.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best would be to anchor the TV to the cabinet so that it does not fall over. Something like this.

And get cord covers to make it less tempting, if it's the cords she's going after. Something like this.

Spray bottles rarely work, so I wouldn't bother with that...not to mention that it's being sprayed near an electrical device....
It tends to just make them fearful which can bring about other issues.
Kittens like to get into everything, climb onto most everything, but it does tend to get better as they get older. Just make the environment as safe as possible. I don't have kids, and I never thought I would have to start buying "child proofing" items, until I got my last bunch of kitties. All my others were pretty chill, but my 2 boys are rambunctious little buggers! I have to install childproof locks to keep them out of my kitchen cabinets and had to close off my laundry room, because one of them found a way to get into the drop ceiling and crashed thru the ceiling! :lol: That was fun mess! :rolleyes3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jules89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the ideas! She's actually not going after the wires. She ends up sitting behind the tv or occasionally gets under the cabinet. Kitten phase is something I tell you.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She ends up sitting behind the tv or occasionally gets under the cabinet.
Perhaps she likes it behind the TV because it's warm, maybe get her a self warming or electric heating cat bed...
I would caution against using a "human" heating pad, they can get too hot (even on low) and cause burns.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your best would be to anchor the TV to the cabinet so that it does not fall over.
And get cord covers to make it less tempting, if it's the cords she's going after.
Casper does the same thing. :)

Whenever we, humans, begin to pay more attention to the box that sits on the shelf than Casper thinks we should be giving to him, he jumps up on the TV cabinet and starts messing around. He'll calm down if we talk to him and play with him for a few minutes.

I strongly advise getting a TV anchor strap. Post-haste!
You can get them, cheaply, at Walmart.

It's cheap insurance to be sure your cat doesn't accidentally break the TV (or herself) when the TV goes tumbling down!

If there is a tangle of cords back there, get some cord wraps, too. The few bucks is worth it to be sure your things don't get damaged or your cat doesn't get hurt.

We have our TV secured with a strap and we have the cords all corralled. We don't have to worry whether Casper will knock the TV over when he jumps up there.

In fact, we think it's kind of cute when he begs for attention like that. ;)