Kitten Isn't Using Hind Legs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I may need to make modifications. It's my first time making a vest out of cardboard for a kitten. He does not like to wear it, but when he has it on he can't lay on his chest which I believe is the goal. It just seems too big for him. I just don't want to get it too tight.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I said sling I meant the cardboard vest.
Ah, I understand. I was thinking something like a baby sling, and you were thinking in terms of broken bones and confused "splint" with "sling." This is understandable, especially since the words are superficially similar.

The vest looks like it may be a bit too long for him; otherwise it looks good. He looks very alarmed by it, though. Is he crying himself breathless over it? If he is, it's doing more harm than good. Did you check first by gently pressing the sides of his rib cage to be sure that it got better rather than worse when compressed?

Margret

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Looks good, just cut it shorter. He’ll get more used to it. The more he wears it the sooner his ribs will correct. Make sure it is not tied too tightly or it will have the opposite effect.

You’ll need to adjust it as he grows. Make the strings longer so it’s easy to loosen it. :)

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Margret Margret , I agree it's too big. I'm going to make it a little smaller for him. He doesn't really cry himself breathless when I put him it. He meows some but not constant. He tries to get out of it. I noticed his mobility is limited in it and that maybe one reason he doesn't like it. He may not like bc it is too big so I hope by making it smaller it will fit him better and he will get used to it. When I gently press on his ribs he doesn't mind seem to mind (he doesn't cry) and it does seem to make it better.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , I will cut it some so hopefully it will fit him better

On a side note: It seems like he has gotten a little bit more movement in his back legs but he still is unable to walk. The vet did not say if he would get back full movement in his back legs or not.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On a side note: It seems like he has gotten a little bit more movement in his back legs but he still is unable to walk. The vet did not say if he would get back full movement in his back legs or not.
The vet probably doesn't know yet, but even if he says the kitten will never regain use of his legs don't give up on that. We had a thread a year or two ago about a kitten who had been mauled by a bobcat and was seriously paralyzed. Most people would have given up on him, but @jennyrosalie kept working with him and eventually we had videos of him stalking and pouncing on toys. Kitten who can't move

It's too soon to do any of the things she did yet, but once your kitten is past the FCKS stage I suspect that you'll find this thread to be quite instructive.

Margret

Last edited:

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , he is taking prednisone.
Margret Margret , wow that's great. I won't give up on him. I'll definitely checkout that thread you shared and once he is over FCKS I'll start working with him too.

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 bruce 1 1 bruce 1 , Thanks . I'll try to post updates on him frequently.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , Thanks, I will read it. These threads are encouraging and give me hope for him.