Kitten Isn't Using Hind Legs

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 5 week old kitten that was born with some health problems. I noticed when it was only a few weeks old that something was wrong with the kitten's ribs. It felt flat. I researched and found out about Flat-chested Kitten Syndrome. In addition to the rib cage deformity, the kitten was slow to progress and not walking properly. I took my kitten to the vet. The vet did not say it was Flat-chested Kitten Syndrome but she confirmed that the ribs are deformed. Around this time my kitten started walking and the vet said he looked healthy otherwise. She basically said nothing could be done and I just have to wait to see if he will grow up fine or if I will have to put him to sleep. She said I could put him in a sling but she said she doesn't think it will improve his chances for survival. Since that visit he has done well. He is active and playful. I tried to massage him and do little exercises with him. He seems to be nursing on his mom okay. He is gaining weight. Everything seemed fine until today. Last night he was running and playing. This morning he was unable to use his hind legs. I want to take him to the vet but it's Sunday and my regular vet is closed. I will take him tomorrow. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this. I don't know if this is related to his rib cage deformity wether it's Flat-chested Kitten or something else. He is acting like he was before I took him to the vet before when he was 2 or 3 weeks old. I don't know if I should exercise his hind legs like I did before, but I'm afraid I may make it worse if something is broken or dislocated. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to treat Flat-chested Kitten Syndrome. I don't agree with my vet about just waiting and see what happens. I want to try to do something instead of just doing nothing. I tried to find another vet with more experience dealing with this condition but every vet I have contacted acts like I am crazy when I ask if they know anything about Flat-chested Kitten Syndrome. I even stopped saying Flat-chested Kitten Syndrome and just asked if they treat cats with rib cage deformities and still they act like they never heard of it. At least my vet seems familiar and although I don't agree with her on this I really like my current vet. But any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First things first: you can find out about flat chested kitten syndrome here: Flat Chested Kitten (fck)

If it were me I think I'd hold off on the leg exercises until the vet has a look at the kitten. Beyond that, I've never dealt with FCK personally, so I can't give you the benefit of experience. I just don't know.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ? @StefanZ? Anybody?

Margret

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - it's so hard to say whether your kitten did something overnight, fell off of something or had something fall on to him, but I'd be like you and would be afraid to do any exercises with him.
I don't have any great ideas although I just read that Flat chested kitten syndrome is a soft tissue/lung issue, and not a bony malformation, so I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately I need to finish getting ready for work and leave soon, but wanted to say a couple things for now. Today is my Friday so once I get off in the am I will have time to get in to some detail.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 can give you the link to a thread or 2 where I have gone through and been able to help other kittens with this issue successfully.

But for now, I would not do anything about the legs, no idea what is going on with that as of now and not related to flat chested kitten syndrome so there is another reason.
Meanwhile as often as possible today take the kitten and do squeezing exercises with the ribs, thumb on one side and first 2 fingers on the other side at the place where his ribs are the widest and gently sqeeze together then let back out, over and over several times.
This will be a small but at least something you can do to get his ribs starting to want to grow in the right way, the center of his cage above his tummy should poke out slightly when you squeeze. Don't squeeze too much as his lungs are in there and you don't want to limit his breath.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I was not sure if the two conditions were related or not. I will wait on doing leg exercises until I speak with the vet tomorrow. Thank you for the suggestions on flat-chested kitten syndrome. Catwoman707, I will start doing what you suggested.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom , in FCKS the lungs are underdeveloped or otherwise damaged so that they don't inflate fully. This results in the ribs deforming, which then prevents the lungs from healing. Because it's a kitten and still growing it's sometimes possible to splint the kitten in such a way that the ribs are pushed into a correct position, and grow that way, at which point the kitten has a good chance.

yasnic yasnic , I've been searching the net, and these are the sites that looked most helpful:
Margret

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your kitten may possibly have calicivirus if he cannot use his back legs. This would be unrelated to flat-chested kitten syndrome.

Here is a link about calicivirus:

Feline Calicivirus Infection

I will post more info about flat chested kitten syndrome tomorrow. I will also discuss more about calicivirus.

In the meantime, do nothing drastic with your kitten such as euthanasia.

Flat-chested syndrome can be overcome, as can calicivirus.

Hang in there for now!

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: I took my kitten to the vet and he said it seemed like he had a spinal injury but his back did not seem broken. He still has a little movement in his back legs and the vet said this is good. He also doesn't appear to be in any pain and seems to still have feeling in his legs. The vet gave him an injection of steroids and gave me some steroids to give him at home.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable. If he makes it to adulthood he'll be a real beauty.

:sigh: I thought I had posted this yesterday, immediately after you posted his picture...
The steroids may be helpful for the FCKS, as well. One of the recommendations I found for FCKS was prednisone.

Margret

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! The vet gave him some prednisone so I hope it will also help him with FCKS. I'm still researching ways to help him with FCKS. I wanted to make a sling for him, but since he can't use his back legs I'm not sure if I should or not.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suspect a sling would put more pressure on his chest; I would avoid it unless you can think of a way to keep it from pressing on the kitten like one of those flexible rubber swing seats gripping your butt.

Have you come across any of the threads where it’s detailed how to make a vest for the kitten? Toilet paper tube is common.
It is, but one made of two pieces of cardboard seems to be a better design; it can be done in such a way that the kitten can't lie on its chest, which significantly increases the kitten's chances.

Margret

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do not use a sling! The kitten needs to begin wearing a cardboard vest as soon as possible to get pressure off the chest so the rib cage can begin to grow normally.

Please see and follow the links Margret gave you above.

Here is another where our own Catwoman explains things as well:

Flat Chested Kitten Syndrome??

yasnic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I said sling I meant the cardboard vest. I saw some on the link using tissue paper rolls and some using a flexible plastic. I thought those were called slings but I meant the vest. Sorry for the confusion. I have been reading the links shared and the information is very helpful. I will make a vest for him and I'll try to make one where he can't lay on his chest like Margret suggested.