Kitten Is Too Energetic, She Won't Sleep.

JohnerzZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tortellini is now a two month old baby. When i first retrieved her she was a sleepy, calm cat. As time passes though, I'm starting to feel my kitten is behaving like she has just drank some cups of coffee. Every minute of the day, or night. Constantly running around, looking almost nervous and uneasy. She's not even sleeping enough anymore. Less than 8 hours for sure. I've had playfull cats before. But nothing like that. She seems annoyed. She's not enjoying it, As far as I can tell. Like she's forced to do it. If anyone has faced anything similar before or has any advice on how to calm her down, id appreciate that a lot.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello J JohnerzZ , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Your kitty sounds like a normal kitten that's full of energy and active. As long as she's eating, using her litter box, she should be alright.

But you mentioned that she seems annoyed and not enjoying it and like being forced to, maybe you like to elaborate more on this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JohnerzZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello J JohnerzZ , welcome to TCS :wave3:

Your kitty sounds like a normal kitten that's full of energy and active. As long as she's eating, using her litter box, she should be alright.

But you mentioned that she seems annoyed and not enjoying it and like being forced to, maybe you like to elaborate more on this?
I hope you're right. That is her vet' s opinion too. As for the annoyance, she's meowing quite often while she's playing. The kind of unpleasant meow. Like how kittens do when they're in pain. I hope it's just that she's playing hard and putting herself into it. But that annoyance is the reason I'm quite worried for her.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some cats meow, maybe more like a little growling during play especially when they are biting onto something. Its like she's caught a prey and devouring it. It's normal.

Unless you are saying that she is limping while at play that cause her pain. But since your vet has checked her and never report that she has any injuries, I guess that's pretty much of her when she's playing. Some cats are more vocal than others.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vega is still doing so and he is 1 year old. As she likes to chase laser pointer and always begs to play, I spend as much time as I can to play with her. I'll play until she lay down on the ground and resume the play when he asks again. It does give her more sleep at night (me as well! ;) ).
And, she meows A LOT! I meow, too, when she does. It's like conversation and she usually leads me to what she wants. :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats meow, growl and/or hiss at their toys, at walls or at imaginary playmates while playing. When they don't have another kitten to play with they just make their own games up. And some cats are just more vocal overall than others. As long as she is eating, active and playing I wouldn't worry about her sounds.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Luna was CRAZY as a kitten. I joke her name Luna is short for Lunatic. Kittens are nuts, some more crazy than others. Luna was bouncing off furniture, climbing the walls, running in circles, jumping on me CONSTANTLY. I got so annoyed with her. Now she's calmed down some.

But is sounds like normal kitten behavior. Luna also meows aalot but it sounds more like she's screaming at me. Not very pleasant, but hat's just how she sounds.

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 kittens, 12 and 19 weeks old. Assuming my kittens are normal I'd say yours sounds perfectly normal as well. lol My Copper makes this awful yowl that used to concern me, but it's because he's stalking moths, or flies or imaginary birds. We were at the vet on Friday and these two didn't stop running and wandering around the exam room, she actually asked me if they ever pause... my answer, only when they're sleeping. At 2 months is when I started to notice a change in my Oscar as well. That's when they grow from baby into kitten from what I've seen. Right now, Copper (the 19 week old) is laying in the cat tree snoozing, while his younger brother is ripping and tearing through the house. Kittens be crazy!

She'll calm down eventually. Keep lots of toys around so her mind is engaged and active. She's a healthy rambunctious kitten! This is good, means you're taking good care of her!