Kitten Is Much Bigger Than Her Siblings?

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've fostered a lot of kittens and they've been close in weight aside from the occasional runt. However, I got a litter of four recently and one of them is SO much bigger than the others! She's 2 lbs and 4 oz and her siblings range from 1 lb 5 oz to 1 lb 9 oz. Just curious, what causes this??

Still trying to learn as much as I can so thanks for any input.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Maybe there wasn't enough food to go around and she's the toughest, so she got enough and the others didn't :(.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old are they? Maybe there wasn't enough food to go around and she's the toughest, so she got enough and the others didn't :(.
That could be it! I don't know where they came from but it was either from a shelter or outside. They are 7 weeks old.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, the kittens should be around 2 pounds at 8 weeks (a general guideline) so at 7 weeks 1 pound 12 ounces would be average. So she is big and the others are a little small, but nothing too alarming. I think they'll even out as long as you make sure everybody gets enough to eat. Or she might just be a big girl!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be different fathers. I have two sisters, one is a short hair normal size, the other is a long haired lion cub. Same litter.

Dave226

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes I've wondered if a kitten bigger than normal may have a underlying health problem

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Could be different fathers. I have two sisters, one is a short hair normal size, the other is a long haired lion cub. Same litter.
:yeah: We had a litter at the shelter with two very large long-haired kittens and three small short-haired ones. None of them looked like their mother, and we assumed they had different fathers.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could also be that she was a few days older in the womb, came out slightly bigger and had an advantage at the milk bar.