Kitten Hiccuping/coughing?

htx_snowshoe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got a kitten on 11/1/17. She is about 3.5 months old and has had all of her vaccines and tests done. When I first got her, she started doing this weird coughing/choking thing that sounded like she was trying to get a hairball up. I noticed it a lot more at the beginning & thought that it was just after she ate. When I sent one of the videos (View media item 420189) to my vet, he said that she is probably giving herself hiccups. I've been home all day today and noticed that she's been doing it even if she hasn't eaten recently so I'm not sure it could be that.

Here is another video that I took just now: View media item 420188
Any thoughts on what this is? My vet is closed on the weekends, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any ideas or had seen this before. Thank you!!

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens at 4 months old had the same hiccups as yours seems to have. It never caused him any harm, and he doesn't seem to have them as much anymore at 7 months old. Hiccups don't have to be caused by eating, they can also come from drinking, or just randomly in general. If you're very worried, and the hiccups seem to go beyond this level that you've shown in the videos, then ask the vet again. But what you've shown in the videos just seems like average hiccups. Maybe slow down the speed of eating/drinking, since they take up a lot of air if they go quickly, if you're super worried for the moment. But I don't think it'll cause any harm in the long run.

mitty009

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what your kitten doing is not coughing for sure because my kitten does cough here and there and it seems completely different from what your cat is doing... I guess he does hiccup ...not coughing

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats do get hiccups :) I wouldn't worry about it. One of my cats does it occasionally, usually after eating.