Kitten - Healthy Weight? Maine Coon Maybe.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I found little (big) Tiger in a box with a note that gave his age, sex, a few other details including a mention of a severe allergy and giving him a good home... so we did!

He was 9 weeks old and 2lbs at the time. I weighed him yesterday at 14.5 weeks old and he is now 6lbs. WTH! He is not fat at all... looks like a Maine Coon too. He has lots of MC personality traits (trills, some attempted chirping, super friendly and confident), he also has the physical traits of a MC... though probably not quite as fluffy as many you see.

Does any body have a good estimate / comparison of a regular kitten weight versus maine coon weight at that age... what did your kitties weigh?

Thanks!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FaBEAR FaBEAR - This chart is a tad clumsy because it uses a cross section of Maine Coon kittens, but it will give you a general idea:

Maine Coon Growth And Weights - Maine Coon Fancy

My late Maine Coon, Big Red, finished right at 33 pounds; my current Norwegian Forest Cat, Bob, is about 10% larger all 'round - just over 113 cm nose to tail, and a shade over 16 kg or 36 pounds.

Perhaps @MistyDawn and mightyboosh mightyboosh will weigh in here.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FaBEAR FaBEAR - This chart is a tad clumsy because it uses a cross section of Maine Coon kittens, but it will give you a general idea:

My late Maine Coon, Big Red, finished right at 33 pounds; my current Norwegian Forest Cat, Bob, is about 10% larger all 'round - just over 113 cm nose to tail, and a shade over 16 kg or 36 pounds.

Perhaps @MistyDawn and mightyboosh mightyboosh will weigh in here.
Thank You! Wow those are big cats you have/had :-) , I'll take a look at that chart... it will be good to guesstimate an adult size... he will be grown out of the cat tree we bought him very soon! we don't know for sure if he's a maine coon obviously but I'm convinced he's got some in him at least :-)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon cross is a midget at nine lbs. But she did have a pretty miserable kittenhood - weighed just two lbs at an estimated age of eight months and required emergency surgery because some creep had beaten her up to within an inch of her life.

You do know to feed him as much as he wants and not worry about a bit of kitten fat, right? He’s a growing boy.

Second the photo request, from FaBEAR FaBEAR and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine . We love photos.

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Maine Coon cross is a midget at nine lbs. But she did have a pretty miserable kittenhood - weighed just two lbs at an estimated age of eight months and required emergency surgery because some creep had beaten her up to within an inch of her life.

You do know to feed him as much as he wants and not worry about a bit of kitten fat, right? He’s a growing boy.

Second the photo request, from FaBEAR FaBEAR and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine . We love photos.

Awwww that's awful u hope she's ok now though - just a little small! Do you have a pic?

Here is one of Tiger sitting beside me as we speak... he's being free fed dry food and is currently eating 3 pouches of wet food, probably 4 pouches by next week. When do they stop eating so much!?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When do they stop eating so much!?
Errrm, never!

we don't know for sure if he's a maine coon obviously but I'm convinced he's got some in him at least :-)
I've said this already as you know and in my opinion he is a Maine Coon. I know the 'without papers etc.' is the standard reply but I believe it.

Here's a link from a Maine Coon site that should help. I joined it but the activity on there is very slow so I've give up on it.

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We would love to have a full picture of your big guy! I have had big cats but none near that. I can't hardly carry my seventeen pound boy, I can't imagine a thirty pounder!
di and bob di and bob - Bob appears in the introductory post to this thread:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

and Big Red does appear later as well, along with a fair number of Big Kitties, including Mightyboosh's Oliver, who appears above in his avatar.

FaBEAR FaBEAR - It would be charming to see photos of Tiger in the Big Breeds thread as he grows vaster than empires and more slow larger!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine Sorry, I'm an idiot. I posted the same thing.
mightyboosh mightyboosh - There's no harm in being an idiot, Phil, but really, that's my job on TCS. There are a couple of situations still vacant, however - I believe that Numpty, Knobhead and Pillock are still open.

Here's a smaller shot of Bob and Scottiecat together. Bob's the one up front, who's... well, no worries... he's hard to miss, eh?

bobscottsmall.jpg

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mightyboosh mightyboosh - There's no harm in being an idiot, Phil, but really, that's my job on TCS. There are a couple of situations still vacant, however - I believe that Numpty, Knobhead and Pillock are still open.

Here's a smaller shot of Bob and Scottiecat together. Bob's the one up front, who's... well, no worries... he's hard to miss, eh?

View attachment 247239
Wow look at that for size comparison!! Love it :-)

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Errrm, never!

I've said this already as you know and in my opinion he is a Maine Coon. I know the 'without papers etc.' is the standard reply but I believe it.

Here's a link from a Maine Coon site that should help. I joined it but the activity on there is very slow so I've give up on it.

Thanks! I actually tried to sign up but there's something up with their sign up process so I can't , but as you mention it's slow then I might not bother :-)

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
di and bob di and bob - Bob appears in the introductory post to this thread:

The Big Breeds (and Mixes): Post 'em Here!

and Big Red does appear later as well, along with a fair number of Big Kitties, including Mightyboosh's Oliver, who appears above in his avatar.

FaBEAR FaBEAR - It would be charming to see photos of Tiger in the Big Breeds thread as he grows vaster than empires and more slow larger!
I'll definitely post pics there... Though I think he has some growing to do yet!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I actually tried to sign up but there's something up with their sign up process so I can't , but as you mention it's slow then I might not bother :-)
I don't want to put you off but it's just not as dynamic as this site and it can take a while for replies.
I've found also that it's simply better to be on a site that's not breed specific so the whole gamut of the cat world can be explored.
I haven't been back to it since I joined here.
How is the little fella today?

FaBEAR

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't want to put you off but it's just not as dynamic as this site and it can take a while for replies.
I've found also that it's simply better to be on a site that's not breed specific so the whole gamut of the cat world can be explored.
I haven't been back to it since I joined here.
How is the little fella today?
He's sleeping quite a lot today. I work from home so sleepy daytime kitten is the best kind! How many cats do you have? We are moving in with the in laws for a while so Tiger will have a couple of feline friends along with the dog soon. They've been introduced but the two old girls are not particularly fond of him just yet!