Kitten Having Food Troubles.

Jasonasaur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, my girlfriend got these Bengals, they are almost 4 months old. Amazing cats, if you ever get a chance to meet one. The girl, Cami, has been sick. I took her to the vet, the vet gave me worm medicine (to no avail), rehydrated her and gave us instruction to feed Cami 1 tsp wet food every two hours. That did stop the puking, as far as we could tell . But we work together , second shift. I would say we spend 9.5 to 10 hours away. So, I started giving her 2 tsp. Now we're at about a quarter of one of those little wet food cans. I smear it all over the surface of a plate, cause she's a fast eater and it slows her down.
That's the background. The problem: While she seems to be getting physically better, slowly, she will have exactly one really big puke session, hours after eating. She does process enough to use the litter, both numbers. But I would prefer all her food goes that route... my carpet is steady getting uglier. The vet is closed, today. So if there are any suggestions, maybe we'll have an Aha! moment, make her feel better sooner and save the doc bill.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I guess I don't really understand exactly what is wrong Cami - or, doesn't the vet even know? It seems as if the vet is merely telling you that you need to feed her very small amounts of food multiple times a day in the hopes that this approach will stop the puking and she will get well by just that alone?

I don't have a list of some different food treatments you could try, but one of the members - Furballsmom Furballsmom - does and hopefully she will see this post soon and provide it to you.

Are standard carpet cleaners not working on the carpet? For spot treatment, I use Formula 409 and it has been pretty effective for me. When Cami fully recovers, you probably will need to either rent a steam cleaner or hire a professional to totally clean the carpet.

I wish the best for little Cami and hopes she recovers soon.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only way I can think of to offer her small meals while you are both at work is to get an automatic feeder. If boy kitty will eat all the food, then you'll have to get one keyed to Cami's microchip.

I hope your vet moves on to trying to find the cause.

On white/gray carpets with the red stain from cat food, I use hydrogen peroxide, pout a bit on a paper towel and blot then rub. If the stain's been there awhile, pour on the spot and wait an hour then blot off. You may want to test it in a corner that isn't very visible, maybe in a closet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jasonasaur

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, was very tired while typing that. My question was basically "If she seems to be getting healthier, yet still throws up, is there something I can try before returning to vet?". The carpet is no issue with me, was just using it as a joke, I made my own solution to clean and condition it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't think of anything to try if she continues to throw up - other than take her to the vet and ask them for a little more help/effort in determining the cause.

This could be food allergy related, environmental allergies, IBD or other digestive tract issues - the list is endless.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all know your cat is your first and most important issue. :blush:

Many of us have carpets and know they can be an issue too. Especially if you live in an apartment and want -1- to get your deposit back -2- to encourage the landlord to keep renting to people with pets. because -2- is really important to a lot of cats and people out there.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
The section for gobblers could give you more tips to slow down her eating;
18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

There are vets who will prescribe a 50:50 boiled unseasoned white meat chicken and white rice mixture for a day or so, to try and "reset" the stomach.
You could try that.

...double-check with your vet to be sure these things are ok;

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making these recipes - they're just as viable for an adult cat as for kittens;
Kitten-Rescue.com

These below can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up, lettuce, applesauce, mashed chickpeas, black olives
  • whipped topping such as reddiwhip
  • dry pasta
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • You've been doing this already, but there are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese, string cheese

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy powdered KMR at Pet Smart. Plus they also carry Goat m ilk