Kitten got separated from mama, it’s been three days

NikkiA

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Baby cat missing, mama looking for him

So we live near corn and farms so we often gets strays. We leave out food and water for them so they can fill their bellies. One of our strays brought us a kitten around 9 weeks ago. She was never pregnant so we think maybe she picked him up. She raised him good, kept him safe, we made sure he had toys, a cat house and cat bed to sleep in, and plenty of food and water. He was doing great. Mom likes to roam and takes the baby with her..which is where we have a problem. The night of July 4th, mama cat came back screaming…she had lost the baby. We checked the roads and everything and thankfully nothing there. We think it’s unlikely someone picked him up as he’s VERY skittish. My roommate thinks he died. I’m praying not and that they just got separated and he’s waiting for her. She walks around the neighborhood screaming for him and she has yet to find him. I feel so horrible for her. I’ve tried looking around their hiding spots, using audio recordings of mama meowing, following mom and nothing. I hope to God she finds him but it’s been almost 3 days. Will a nine week old cat be ok without mom at this point? He hasn’t nursed in around a week and was completely on wet kitten food. Is it possible she’ll find him?? Will he recognize our home and come back to us? Or is it possible he has died?

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Baby cat missing, mama looking for him

So we live near corn and farms so we often gets strays. We leave out food and water for them so they can fill their bellies. One of our strays brought us a kitten around 9 weeks ago. She was never pregnant so we think maybe she picked him up. She raised him good, kept him safe, we made sure he had toys, a cat house and cat bed to sleep in, and plenty of food and water. He was doing great. Mom likes to roam and takes the baby with her..which is where we have a problem. The night of July 4th, mama cat came back screaming…she had lost the baby. We checked the roads and everything and thankfully nothing there. We think it’s unlikely someone picked him up as he’s VERY skittish. My roommate thinks he died. I’m praying not and that they just got separated and he’s waiting for her. She walks around the neighborhood screaming for him and she has yet to find him. I feel so horrible for her. I’ve tried looking around their hiding spots, using audio recordings of mama meowing, following mom and nothing. I hope to God she finds him but it’s been almost 3 days. Will a nine week old cat be ok without mom at this point? He hasn’t nursed in around a week and was completely on wet kitten food. Is it possible she’ll find him?? Will he recognize our home and come back to us? Or is it possible he has died?

its possible he's alive it's possible he's dead. its possible he will come back. put his litter box outside. walk around the area and look in dark holes and things for him as well. it's possible he is trapped somewhere. check in barns and the like anywhere that could be closed that might have been open over the fourth that would have been closed afterwards

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - welcome!
I am considering a worst case scenario due to mama yelling so much. In any case, since he had stopped nursing he could be ok if he's simply trapped somewhere.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have a bad feeling on this one, simply because mama is screaming, and not being answered. At that age, a kitten is so susceptible to so many predators...stray dogs, coyotes, hawks and larger owls. Let's hope very hard that he was found and taken in, always a possibility. Always. Should he not show back up again, think of him safe and loved in someone's home. If he is not in someone's home, then he is in Someone's home, still safe and loved beyond imagining.