Kitten Getting Nose Bleeds?

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody. One week ago, I adopted a 10 week old kitten from the humane society. I know a lot of cats that come from shelters commonly have upper respiratory infections, upon which returning home with my kitten, I realize he probably had. Runny eyes, congested nose, sneezing, etc. I didn't think it was too much to worry about over the weekend and planned to call the vet Monday.

However, later in the day, my kitten sneezed and got a bloody nose. Again, I was pretty sure it was just from his cold (like how humans can get bloody noses when sneezing a lot while sick). I decided to call the shelter I got him from and ask, and they basically told me the same thing.

I brought him into the vet on Monday, and they told me that as long as he is eating and drinking, using the liter box and not throwing up, he is okay and it will pass. They gave me some ointment for his eyes and amoxicillin to give him orally twice a day.

It has been a week and his eyes definitely seem to be less runny, but he is still sneezing, congested and getting bloody noses (only when / after he sneezes). He is not lethargic, is eating and drinking and using the litter box, but I still just feel a little worried.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, I also want to mention that I have an older cat (6 years) who has been around the kitten and even eating out of the same food bowl and he is completely fine. The vet told me to try to keep them away from each other, but in a one bedroom apartment, it's nearly impossible (and they love to play with each other). The vet said hopefully whatever illness the kitten has, the cat has already been vaccinated for.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know sometimes a URI can be difficult to get over, just like it can be with us. Hopefully the meds will help, but it may just need to run its course. If he is slowly getting better, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. Not lethargic, and nothing makes you think he is getting worse, i would give it a few days or week. If he has not made significant progress in a week or so, or seems worse then i would take him back in. And yes i hope your older cat does not get it, at his age his immune system is better than the kittens, and if he is up to date on his vaccines that's a good thing! Do keep us updated! :crossfingers:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for adopting a 10 wk. old kitten from the Humane Society and giving him his forever home. I agree with duckpond duckpond that a URI can sometimes be difficult to get over but hopefully the antibiotic will help and if his symptoms worsen to contact your vet. I thought this Article about common ailments in cats adopted from shelters might be helpful, please note the paragraph regarding a URI:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups

Please feel free to post a pic of your new kitten here or in the Pictures forum:
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
Best of luck. :goodluck:

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for adopting a homeless kitten! I’m so glad the kitten and your grown cat are getting along. Most likely the kitten has a burst blood vessel in his nose that hasn’t healed yet and it keeps bleeding a bit with every sneeze. No big deal unless he’s bleeding all the time or throwing up stuff that looks like coffee grounds.

Good luck, I hope your kitten gets over his cold soon.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that sometimes kitty colds can be stubborn. How long is he supposed to take the current antibiotic? Sometimes more than one round of antibiotics is needed. My 12 year old cat Starbuck had a bad URI as a kitten. She was younger than your baby. It took 2 rounds of 2 different antibiotics to clear it up. She also continued to act like a normal playful hungry kitten. One thing I did do that helped her feel more comfortable was steam treatments. Run the shower as hot as possible and steam up your bathroom. Sit in the steamy bathroom with him for 15-20 minutes 2-3x a day. This helps to break up the congestion and make the kitten more comfortable. I use steam treatments for all my cats when they have a URI even if they are on antibiotics.

In 2014 when I adopted a 7 week old Casey he brought home a URI. He did not show any symptoms at all for about a week besides sneezing once in a while. I thought the sneezes were him getting used to his new home. After a week the sneezing got worse and I could tell he had an eye infection so I took him to the vet. He was given an antibiotic and ointment for his eyes. He shared his URI with my other 3 cats by the time he showed symptoms. Starbuck also had to be seen by the vet and put on antibiotics. She was coughing alot. Sonny and Apollo had very mild URI's and did not need to go the vet. They had some sneezing but nothing more. I did steam treatments for everyone. Poor Starbuck caught her 2nd URI as an adult.

Apollo is a daddy's kid and hates it when I pick him up or hold him. When he sneezed on me while dad was at work I picked him up and took him into the bathroom for a steam treatment. He fought me pretty good until I sat down in the bathroom with him. After that he demanded treatments on his own anytime one of us went to use the bathroom. I guess he figured out very quickly that the steam treatments were helping him. He demanded treatments for about a week until he felt better.

Keep an eye on your other cat too. Even though URI's are contagious they do not always spread. My two male adult cats did not catch the URI Starbuck had when she was a kitten. One of them was very bonded to her and would often start grooming her when she was sneezing.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do know sometimes a URI can be difficult to get over, just like it can be with us. Hopefully the meds will help, but it may just need to run its course. If he is slowly getting better, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. Not lethargic, and nothing makes you think he is getting worse, i would give it a few days or week. If he has not made significant progress in a week or so, or seems worse then i would take him back in. And yes i hope your older cat does not get it, at his age his immune system is better than the kittens, and if he is up to date on his vaccines that's a good thing! Do keep us updated! :crossfingers:

Hey duckpond, thank you so much for your response! I will definitely keep you all updated, as this was incredibly helpful. I really appreciate the help.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for adopting a 10 wk. old kitten from the Humane Society and giving him his forever home. I agree with duckpond duckpond that a URI can sometimes be difficult to get over but hopefully the antibiotic will help and if his symptoms worsen to contact your vet. I thought this Article about common ailments in cats adopted from shelters might be helpful, please note the paragraph regarding a URI:
Identifying Common Ailments In Cats Adopted From Animal Shelters And Rescue Groups

Please feel free to post a pic of your new kitten here or in the Pictures forum:
Fur Pictures and Videos Only!
Best of luck. :goodluck:

I can't thank you enough for all the help with this. These comments have made me feel much more calm about the whole situation. And I really appreciate the article you attached, too. Thanks again.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for adopting a homeless kitten! I’m so glad the kitten and your grown cat are getting along. Most likely the kitten has a burst blood vessel in his nose that hasn’t healed yet and it keeps bleeding a bit with every sneeze. No big deal unless he’s bleeding all the time or throwing up stuff that looks like coffee grounds.

Good luck, I hope your kitten gets over his cold soon.
Hey silkenpaw, I bet you are totally right about the blood vessel. I have been wondering why he would still have bloody sneezes and was starting to get worried, but I bet that is exactly the answer. Thank you so much for your help-- this really made me feel better about the whole situation.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree that sometimes kitty colds can be stubborn. How long is he supposed to take the current antibiotic? Sometimes more than one round of antibiotics is needed. My 12 year old cat Starbuck had a bad URI as a kitten. She was younger than your baby. It took 2 rounds of 2 different antibiotics to clear it up. She also continued to act like a normal playful hungry kitten. One thing I did do that helped her feel more comfortable was steam treatments. Run the shower as hot as possible and steam up your bathroom. Sit in the steamy bathroom with him for 15-20 minutes 2-3x a day. This helps to break up the congestion and make the kitten more comfortable. I use steam treatments for all my cats when they have a URI even if they are on antibiotics.

In 2014 when I adopted a 7 week old Casey he brought home a URI. He did not show any symptoms at all for about a week besides sneezing once in a while. I thought the sneezes were him getting used to his new home. After a week the sneezing got worse and I could tell he had an eye infection so I took him to the vet. He was given an antibiotic and ointment for his eyes. He shared his URI with my other 3 cats by the time he showed symptoms. Starbuck also had to be seen by the vet and put on antibiotics. She was coughing alot. Sonny and Apollo had very mild URI's and did not need to go the vet. They had some sneezing but nothing more. I did steam treatments for everyone. Poor Starbuck caught her 2nd URI as an adult.

Apollo is a daddy's kid and hates it when I pick him up or hold him. When he sneezed on me while dad was at work I picked him up and took him into the bathroom for a steam treatment. He fought me pretty good until I sat down in the bathroom with him. After that he demanded treatments on his own anytime one of us went to use the bathroom. I guess he figured out very quickly that the steam treatments were helping him. He demanded treatments for about a week until he felt better.

Keep an eye on your other cat too. Even though URI's are contagious they do not always spread. My two male adult cats did not catch the URI Starbuck had when she was a kitten. One of them was very bonded to her and would often start grooming her when she was sneezing.
Hey catlover73, I appreciate you sharing your story-- I can tell that our kittens are going through a similar thing. I am not sure how long the antibiotics will take: I have been giving them to him since last Monday, and as of today (Saturday) there is still about half left, so it is probably a two week medicine. I am sorry to hear your cats weren't feeling good either.
I will absolutely try the steam treatments, especially since you said it worked so well for your cats. Thanks so much for your help.