Kitten gets pee and litter on his behind when peeing

xemica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am new to TheCatSite forum.  Have been trying to search for this answer everywhere but no luck and was hoping someone could help me with my kitten's behaviour.

We recently got an American Shorthair, he is about  7 and a half months old right now.  His testicles/sac was quite large before we got him neutered at the end of July 2016.

After his neutering, we noticed he kept on getting pee and litter on his fur/testicle sac on his behind.  He would leave blobs of litter and pee on our bedding, carpets and practically anywhere he sat after he used the litter box.  I had to go wipe his behind everytime I saw him use the litter box.  At that point, we thought we might have put in too much litter so when we did our whole litter change, we put less in.  After that, the problem was fixed so we always kept the litter lower/less in the box so he would not get pee/litter stuck on his behind/fur/sac again.

Recently, he started doing it again!!!  And there is so little litter already.  It's like he's sitting wayyyy too low when he's peeing and touches everything.

His fur is not long at all, he just squats way too low when he goes pee.

I would totally appreciate any advice, suggestions or help on this as I know he can be a clean cat.  We got him older (15+ weeks) so he fully learned all the potty lessons from his mother before we got him.

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if he would realize what is happening if you didn't wipe him down? You are cleaning him up & he hasn't learned what to avoid to stay clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xemica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think that's the problem as I don't/can't wipe him down every time he pees. I probably wipe him 1-2 times out of the 3-4 times he goes per day. =|

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think high or low litter make not much of a difference. If he digs and aim right in the dug out, chances are he'll not soil fur or hind legs or sac even if they stood low.
I can just think of two things. Either he pee with a full bladder each time and litter get flooded and over flow to the legs and sac as he stood low. The other thing is after digging, he miscue and pee on the mount of the dug out.
When my boy pee with a full bladder, it's a reservoir out there. He'll get his hind legs soiled and walls of litter box splattered with litter and litter mat lots of litter as the litter is stuck between his paws and he'll leave a trail of litter in the house ending with a litter stain on the floor :lol3:
So sometimes if I happen to be around when he poo or pee, I'll carry him after he covers and wipe him down.

xemica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi TabbyTom,

Thank you for your reply. He actually doesn't dig when he goes pee. He walks in, squats down, pees, get up, turn around and sniff a little and paws litter over it, sometimes breaking the ball clump of pee. But I know for a fact he sometimes doesn't cover up his pee too as when I go to clean his litter box, I can see pee u covered.

It could be he's always peeing with a bladder full but have not noticed any splatter on his legs whenever he comes out with pee/litter on his behind.

Is there any solution if his reason for the litter on bum is from being a full bladder? When I first got him, I was afraid he didn't know where the litter box was yet and would put him in the litter box to encourage him to pee but it doesn't really work. [emoji]128528[/emoji]

xemica

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry, meant to say "pee uncovered" not "pee u covered". Don't know how to edit previous message too [emoji]128528[/emoji]

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I think there's no solution unless someone has it.
My guess is if on full bladder and he squad low, then when he pees, the pee just rise up and soil his private part.
The other thing I can think of is if you are using clumping litter, most likely this brand of litter is not clumping up fast enough. Or maybe not. Just a wild guess.
So it could be due to his not digging before peeing.
Maybe you can try to observe him from a low angle while he is peeing. I do that with my boy to see if everything is ok when he pees or poop when I have the chance.
Oh, to edit your post, at the bottom left of your post is a pencil next to a flag. Click on that and you'll be able to edit your post but there's a time limit on that after your initial post. Can't remember how long, maybe something like 120mins?

Jayfellz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I am new to TheCatSite forum. Have been trying to search for this answer everywhere but no luck and was hoping someone could help me with my kitten's behaviour.

We recently got an American Shorthair, he is about 7 and a half months old right now. His testicles/sac was quite large before we got him neutered at the end of July 2016.

After his neutering, we noticed he kept on getting pee and litter on his fur/testicle sac on his behind. He would leave blobs of litter and pee on our bedding, carpets and practically anywhere he sat after he used the litter box. I had to go wipe his behind everytime I saw him use the litter box. At that point, we thought we might have put in too much litter so when we did our whole litter change, we put less in. After that, the problem was fixed so we always kept the litter lower/less in the box so he would not get pee/litter stuck on his behind/fur/sac again.

Recently, he started doing it again!!! And there is so little litter already. It's like he's sitting wayyyy too low when he's peeing and touches everything.

His fur is not long at all, he just squats way too low when he goes pee.

I would totally appreciate any advice, suggestions or help on this as I know he can be a clean cat. We got him older (15+ weeks) so he fully learned all the potty lessons from his mother before we got him.

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you guys soon!
Hi! I am having an extremely similar problem did you ever find a solution I’m going crazy over here!😩