Kitten Food?adult Food??

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have about 8 cans of adult cat food left and was wondering if i can use it temporary for a 5 month old kitten,just dont want it to go to waste.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The main difference between kitten and adult food is the fat-protein ratio of the food. It's fine to feed a kitten some adult food, you just don't want it to be an all the time thing or it could impact their development. Personally, I'd just do a can of adult a day and the rest of the food for the day be kitten labeled food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Technically, anything labeled "for all life stages" (or something similar) is fine for a kitten so it's more than okay to feed them if that's what you have. (We did this when we had kittens and there was food leftover from our previous cat. It was fine -- even our vet approved!)

On a practical level, though, kitten foods are generally more caloric than adult foods, which makes them more economical and less labor-intensive for you! Kittens need to eat and eat and eat, so you definitely want calorie density. I still feed our cats an occasional can of kitten food: they like the ones from Fancy Feast, Wellness Core, and Nutro Natural Choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

racn1320

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Technically, anything labeled "for all life stages" (or something similar) is fine for a kitten so it's more than okay to feed them if that's what you have. (We did this when we had kittens and there was food leftover from our previous cat. It was fine -- even our vet approved!)

On a practical level, though, kitten foods are generally more caloric than adult foods, which makes them more economical and less labor-intensive for you! Kittens need to eat and eat and eat, so you definitely want calorie density. I still feed our cats an occasional can of kitten food: they like the ones from Fancy Feast, Wellness Core, and Nutro Natural Choice.
thx for the info!!